8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » David Lean 35mm screening in South London

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: David Lean 35mm screening in South London
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 17, 2015 11:02 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one or two occasions I've referred to a campaign I started to reopen the council-owned David Lean Cinema in Croydon, that was closed in 2011 due to arts-related cuts.

We eventually gained some cooperation from the council, which enabled us to start a limited reopening from March last year, operating as a non-profit community venture mostly organised and staffed by volunteers. Of course modern films nearly always have to be screened in digital form, but I'm posting here because we have been upgrading the cinema's 35mm projectors. Our first 35mm presentation will fittingly be David Lean's SUMMER MADNESS on Thursday 25 June at 2.30 and 7.30pm. We checked the BFI's print yesterday and were delighted to find that it's a 2003 restoration that closed the Venice Film Festival. We hope to have guests from the David Lean Foundation, who helped to fund the restoration. The film was shot in Venice and starred Katharine Hepburn. It was Davis Lean's favourite film of all he directed.

If any forum members are in reach of Croydon, you're very welcome to book via this site:
www.davidleancroydon.ticketsource.co.uk

The photo shows our Chief Projectionist Stephen and teenage projectionist Ella in front of one of the cinema's Kinoton projectors. The David Lean is now the only venue in Croydon that's equipped to present 35mm.

-

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2015 01:30 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice to still have 35mm to show. Wishing it a great succes.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2015 05:35 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living on the 468 bus route, I'll have to check what I am committed to be doing on 25th. It would be nice to be there.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 22, 2015 10:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good wishes and interest. If Brian or anyone else is able to attend at 2.30pm, if they contact me SOON, I might be able to offer a spare ticket that someone has that's in an ideal position, unlike the ones remaining on the website which are close to the front.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 06:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't post earlier, but I can't make it as I am due to be watching the play at Richmond Theatre on Thursday. Sorry to miss it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC