8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cheap hotels?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheap hotels?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 07:53 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am hoping to get my wife along to the Blackpool event, but want to maybe spend 3-4 days in London before taking a train to Blackpool. Are there no cheap hotels in the Paddington area anymore? Any tips appreciated. I use to stay at The Gower, but that's about 85 GBP a night now I think ... Used to be around 50 (that's a few years ago, yes :-))

Anyone know of 40-60 GBP a night for a double, that has en-suite? Breakfast not necessary

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 07:55 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothings cheap anymore.
There`s plenty of cheap crappy ones in Blackpool.

--------------------
James Wilson

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be using the Moorings, if they still have rooms. Excellent service

London is what I need now :-)

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 03:47 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finding a hotel for that price could be a challenge. But if you were willing to consider a hostel, this one offers twin rooms from £52. I can't personally recommend it, but I know someone who has stayed there. The location (near Russell Street tube) is good.
http://generatorhostels.com/en/destinations/london/rooms/private/

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 22, 2015 03:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know London at all Vidar in the manner Adrian does, but I would have thought the cheapest hotel with a double room and en suite would be something like a Travelodge.

They are basic business like rooms and may well still be out of budget for you but would surely represent one of the cheapest options for a hotel.You may however be staying a slight distance away from the inner city centre tourist locations.

With the excellent tube services, I don't suppose this would mean too much inconvenience for you though hopefully.

Blackpool does still have many very nice hotels at reasonable prices as you know without having to resort to using the "cheap crappy" ones.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 04:24 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
use hotel booking website Vidar, such as Kayak.com, Priceline.copm, Agoda.com or Hotels.com...your search can be shortened to area, room facilities and price. Then you can pick the best.

Just use the common knowledge with chain hotel names such as Best Western, Days Inn, or small hotels run by big name such as Hilton, JW Mariott, Sheraton, etc.

Good luck!

--------------------
Winbert

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 09:01 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used several of those Winbert, the problem is, the cheapest ones aren't on there. Even The Gower doesn't pop up there and I found it many, many years ago by not using these engines. Was very happy with them, but now their prices almost double. I need to find something a little cheaper than 80 GBP pr. night, if possible. It do seems more difficult now than a few years ago

Just hoping someone might know

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 05:43 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with everywhere it depends on how far from the centre of town you are able to stay. with good transport in London that could be quite a distance from the centre. Try a little further out and see what you can find is my advice.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2015 06:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar,
I stayed at The Mitre House in Paddington last month. It's a very short walk from the station. It was 75 pounds per night with free breakfast. On the down side, the rooms are quite small.
On Monday, I stayed a night at the T5 Travelodge at Heathrow. The 15 minute bus trip costs 5 pounds to Terminals 4 or 5. Larger rooms, very comfortable. 45 pounds.The downside is its a long way from the city.
I have stayed in a number of Travelodges all over the UK and always find them clean and good value for money if you book well in advance.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC