8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Will Hay - HD versions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will Hay - HD versions?
Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

as a big fan of British great Will Hay - does anyone know of any "Blu-ray HD" versions of his movies - released box-set wise? I have most including in the past a lot of 8mm and 16mm.

"Ask a Policeman" especially is one of my favourites - especially the "Smugglers Cove" ryhyme..."Whe the tide is low..." check out the clip below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSzErGo5Sc

--------------------
Mark Silvester

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 04:35 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark watched that clip with my youngest last night, though we`ve seen it many times on the DVD ( sorry ).

Absolutely fantastic, also technically for the 30,s good as well.

Best Mark.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 07:18 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Will Hay films too especially "Oh Mr Porter" - filmed at Cliddesden not far from my home. I don't think he is on Blu-ray yet.

--------------------
Paul.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 07:24 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Porter and Policeman look very good projected from the DVDs, quite filmie and nice.And some of the others. I`ve got Fire on a home done job from ebay.

I find sometimes on BR with B+W stuff they can just force the grain out to a very distracting/unpleasant level rather than improve the picture qaulity.

Some of the Wisdom DVDs look great as well, but we`ve not got the formby ones yet.

Best Mark.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Norman-Wisdom -Collection-DVD/dp/B001CWLFIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1438690649&sr=1-1&keywords=wisdom+dvd+set

I have seen the sets and likewise ones in Sainsburys for £14 odd I think as well.

PS the dvd sets can be very good value.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 07:43 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it would indeed be great if some Will Hay titles were to be released on blu ray. i see only a small chance of that happening. but you never know.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 'old version' of Norman Wisdom's box set, and the aspect ratio's are all over the place, you have to fiddle with settings,as the native setting gives a small picture in the middle of the screen...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 09, 2015 03:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you will have seen it Mark but worth mentioning again.

https://youtu.be/oN9gJ3POpkc

Some day I will complete the quest for Buggleskelly....

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2015 04:23 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - great little clip!

thanks for the link.

They ought to do more stuff like this revisiting other "classic" film sites...etc. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 24, 2015 03:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see fans having fun with it Mark.
Might bump into you at Will Hay Day Nov 29th Electric Cinema Birmingham perhaps? [Cool]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC