8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm Film Evening

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm Film Evening
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2017 08:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this will most likely be the last one to upload regarding the old Ernemann2 projector, After watching this film last night I cant help but feel, that wouldn't it be great to once again watch 35mm film at a cinema?.

https://vimeo.com/240325757

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2017 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, Graham!

There is a Cinema Arts museum nearby us. We went there the other night and saw a movie. It was digitally projected, but I saw up in the booth there were also two 35mm machines.

-so there is still some hope.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2017 10:05 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quit a long and complex film path between platter and projector, "can you say long leader"

Film is magic, sad to see a great era coming to an end.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2017 03:01 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve

Here is hoping that the "Cinema Arts Museum", being a museum that is, start to use those film projectors once again, instead of digital...I think you need to have a word with them [Wink] [Smile]

Alan

The leader is about 35ft but using the platter is brilliant, The only real tension, is the film returning to the platter and that stays a constant. With the film going to the projector from the platter, its very little, as the platter is constantly feeding it out...it just lightly floats across the roof rollers all the way to the other projector [Cool]

This particular platter was used to doing this very thing from its cinema days, every day for the 20 years it was there. Film ran all over the place, certainly glad I grabbed it, before it went to the scrap.

If you look at this old photo, you can see its feeding film down the roof to another projector at cinema 3, and at the same time using other decks for the old Bauer on cinema 2 during our final week.
 -
The other projector now taking it up..
 -
Ah! The "Kinoton" what a nice machine that was.... [Cool]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2017 05:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Graham

Every time I see your 35mm screening videos I look at the projector and platter system working together so smoothly and wish I could do the same here - my Spectra has overhead 6000ft spool capacity but that is as far as I will go due to space limitations - mine is wall to wall full of films too which I can't really move anywhere else. Just one changeover intermission for most features so not too bad. Perhaps I should extend the garage so a platter system would fit in one day. Well done again for keeping the projector in such perfect working condition.

Kevin.

Simon Savage
Junior

- posted October 29, 2017 02:14 PM      Profile for Simon Savage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

Totally agree, there is something special about 35mm.

I’m lucky enough to be a volunteer projectionist at a local community cinema. Most of our screenings are digital but we do have a fair few 35mm screenings each year. Our last two were Blue Velvet and Dunkirk. The latter was particularly scary - the media itself was insured for £30,000 and you really don’t want to be the bloke that wrecks it!

We only have one more 35mm planned for this year - the Exorcist on 31st October. Sadly work commitments prevent me from being there but it should be a good night.

Simon

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2017 06:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin and Simon [Smile]

Kevin my wife thought I was nuts to get the platter she said what are you going to do with it?, even I was wondering my own sanity [Roll Eyes] ..especialy the night we went to the cinema to pick it up. I even roped the Cinema mall security in, to give me a hand [Smile] The Ernemann 2 projector still has its original spool boxes fitted and complete, and can still run its 2000ft reels of film. The platter gives me the choice to run full features, as well without stopping. Most of my features are stored on 6000ft reels so can quickly load onto a platter deck. [Cool]

Simon I am surprised at the cost of insurance of Dunkirk, was that for a 70mm print or just a 35mm ?

I used to enjoy supporting our local cinema, but to be honest for the last few years I seem to have lost interest in going. Between the product itself being shown and I hate to say this, but digital presentation as well at the cinema does makes me think to just wait for the dvd/blu-ray and watch it at home either projected on a VP or watched on TV.

The look of film is special and just before we closed we ran some David Lean films, one being "Dr Zhivago" with Overture, Intermission etc and it looked great. I thought then I will never see it projected like this again....so watched it twice that week.

Simon Savage
Junior

- posted October 30, 2017 04:43 PM      Profile for Simon Savage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

It was on 35mm and we had it for one night only. I think the cost is largely due to printing films being a disappearing industry.

I totally understand about digital. To be honest it’s quite rare that I go to the cinema as a punter and when I’m working there it is quite unusual to see a film all the way through. I must have missed the first quarter of La La Land about 5 times and the rest of the film never got any better.

That said, my cinema is a historic gem (it’s was built in 1912 and has always been a cinema) and there is so much to get involved with that there is no need to ever see a film if you don’t want to!

Simon

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 30, 2017 07:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Simon

Any chance of some photos of the cinema? [Cool]

[Smile]

Simon Savage
Junior

- posted November 01, 2017 06:55 AM      Profile for Simon Savage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

I can certainly give links to a few photos.

First of all via google

The cinema's website has lots of photos dotted around the place.

Main website is here

A "gallery" of photos here which relate mainly to previous events - these need updating to be honest.

A few historic photos at the bottom of this page

A couple of photos here to give you a feel for the auditorium here

We also have a huge collection of cinema and film related stuff. Currently it is being archived by volunteers - you can access the database here. The pictures aren't great but it is a work in progress and it'll give you an idea of some of the stuff we have.

I'm struggling to find decent images of our projection box. Must have a chat with my colleagues at some point and suggest taking some up-to-date ones.

There are also some nice YouTube videos floating around - embedding the URL here failed so just google "youtube clevedon curzon". Some are quite old and things have moved on a little but they'll give you a feel for the place.

We are facing a number of challenges at the moment and trying to raise a lot of money for restoration work and conservation work that'll help us keep the cinema sustainable for another 100 years.

I think that this is my favourite photo. It is in the ticket office when we were loaned a "Shaun the Sheep" by the good folk at Aardman (they are among our patrons) prior to them doing a screening of the movie with a directorial Q&A.

Enjoy

Simon

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 02, 2017 02:53 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon

Thanks for those links [Cool] I remember the cinema being featured in one of Keith Wilton excellent videos many years ago, still got it somewhere...hope you can still manage to get a photo of the projection room [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC