8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm for sale/trade/wanted   » 9.5mm at Farnworth 17th Feb.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5mm at Farnworth 17th Feb.
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 02, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks.
Just a little note to advise I will be trading at The Farnworth Film Collectors Convention (Near Bolton UK) on the 17th Feb 07 @ 10:30am till 4pm. On my stall you will find a number of 9.5mm projectors, sound and silent films along with a good stock of 8mm films. Although the doors open at 10:30 a que will form from about 9:45am. Come and have a chat, even buy something.

Film Fun Day
Saturday 17th Feb
10:30am Trinity Church Hall, Farnworth, Bolton.
Entry only £3.00 and £1.00 for Children.
Hot food at lunch time and drinks all day.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 07, 2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say Lee, would you give me an encapsulated overview on the history regarding 9.5? - I know some, but want to know more - Cheers, Shorty

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 08, 2007 10:02 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...
I got interested in 9~5 about 1976 as prior to this my dad was making 9.5mm colour 3D films using two Pathe H cameras + link cable, along with two Specto 9.5mm projectors also joined by a cable to keep locked together. 9.5 was introduced in the early 20's with the Baby projector so that folk could show films in the home. Must have been fantastic in the 20's. In the 30's Pathe tried to sell the public on 17.5mm sound on film which I do have and show here, but the gauge died. My dad also did 17.5 in wartime and the Ministry paid for the machine to be converted to 16mm so that he could show info films in the small villages around us. The machine worked no better on 16mm that 17.5mm. This machine was called the Home Talkie.

In the late 30's Pathe introduced 9.5mm sound on film and it proved popular. But the war cut 9~5 optical sound short, but 16mm was used by the forces...After the war 9.5 kept going and to this day you can still buy good 9.5mm camera film, tape plicers, 2400ft reels and a converted Elf sound projector.

Pathe had a huge catalogue of films available and these come around quite often with some very collectable titles including, The Wrecker (silent), and sound features like Land Without Music.

We even see new 9.5mm mag trailers like Titanic from time to time becoming available!

To get into 9~5 you will need to be keen and remember most of the films are 60 years old and done the rounds. But a treasure chest awaits and it is a great interest. I just love 9.5!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2007 11:11 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lee,

Around how many films were released on 17.5mm, and how many companies issued on this guage.

Thanks Graham.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 08, 2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi sunshine
Its worth taking a peek at this web site which gives far more details than I have to hand.
www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/175sndflm.htm
AND
www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/175equip.htm

You will also find a mention of 17.5mm on my Steve the Horse web site.
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/fans-of-steves/page3.html

Happy days!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC