8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm for sale/trade/wanted   » ebay Gem at a price

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ebay Gem at a price
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 09, 2007 04:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been having a look at 9-5 on ebay and see a Pathescope Gem sold for £215.00. Whoever paid this for a Gem must be slightl barmey. Crumbs, it had not even had the old lamp converted to QI ! I have just sold one to another forum member for £75 which is about right for this type of machine. It was converted to QI lamp, new brushes in the motor and new drive belt. The prices on ebay ar surprising at times, but then again folk do get caught up in the frenzy of it all.

Far better to wait and go to the Group 9.5 get-together later this year where you will see plenty of Gems for around the £45 mark un converted. I have a couple of 200B's to sell shortly, perhaps I can retire if they hit ebay? Hmm.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2007 07:57 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you that some people go mad on Ebay not realising exactly what there worth. I have to say however, that Ebay is gradually killing off bargains at cine fairs as dealers know that they can get a good price for certain items on Ebay and not be forced into taking a lower price at a sale. Ive also noticed that there seem to be fewer projectors at fairs as dealers can sell them online and save their aching backs.

Sorry but I disagree with you about the 9.5 fair as when I first started going there were loads of projectors, but now there are fewer stalls/dealers and the number of projectors is less particularly Gems. Most projectors I see at these fairs now is old 200B's and ACE's. Im on the lookout for a nice condition Europ but I never see them.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 09, 2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham
You will have a long wait for a Europ kiddo ! Bet you even want the sound base? Only a handful made it into the UK so that just about says it all. As you know Peter has one and he was lucky enough just to be in the right place at the right time even then.

A good alternative is the Heurtier of which I now have a few, the best of which in my user opinion is the OSM. The instruction manual starts by saying “This projector is intended for Cinema use” What more need I say. You will have noted that one sold in Germany last year for just under £1700.00, quite a high asking price for a tri gauge mag/opt machine.

The Heurtier OSM is magnetic record and Optical sound playback 8mm-16mm and 9.5mm and performs superbly here. Supplied with a selection of lenses and in two grey cases it is in my opinion the finest projector for the screening of 9.5mm magnetic and optical sound films. The machine is equipped with a variable shutter blade and an exceptionally bright light output which I have used in the largest of halls for my Steve the Horse lectures.

As projector prices continue to rise I wonder if the 9.5 machines for sale at the 9.5 events will also do suit?

If you didn’t see many 9-5 projectors at last years Harpenden matey then you must be spending too much time behind that video camera viewfinder of yours you always carry around. He.

Take care my friend.

PS: In case you dont know. Many of the parts used on the Europ came from leftover stock from the Monaco machine, but thats another story...

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2007 02:50 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply Lee,

The reason I wanted a Europ is that they look like a nice modern compact 9.5 machine with none of the problems that the 200B has like the speed changing when watching a film. Im not interested in the sound base (although unlikely to ever find one). The heutier is an excellent machine but is also bigger and probably much heavier, but I might buy one if I see any.

Graham

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 10, 2007 01:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you see two ill have one.
Next time I go to Peters I will film the Europ and post the clip on YouTube so you can see it running. Nice machine he has. Hard to find they are. Yoda.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2007 06:01 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,I use a Europ when showing my silent flicks.It has the big reel capacity,SB lens and uses a 50w 8v lamp(MM type).This bulb is actually far more suited to 8mm. The 9.5 gate is just a bit big and brightness in the centre is visibly greater than at the periphery.However,with film going through the gate it isn't to noticable.The rewind on this machine is pathetic. The Europ is the best unmodified 9.5 machine I've had. I got mine like NIB for $30NZ-the advertiser simply put "old projector"in his advert!As Lee says,there are marked similarities to the Monaco.Gems are $25 projectors in NZ.Prices reflect a complete lack of a secondary market for such gear.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 10, 2007 06:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record. They did two versions of the machine and the later one had a 250 watt lamp.
Regards

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2007 04:19 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again,

Yes the monaco is an even rarer and interesting machine in that I dont think Pathescope (or Pathe) released any commercial films for this wide screen projector. The only films you could run on it was home movies taken on the special camera. It's a shame Pathe didnt exploit this projector but it came too late when 9.5 was on its last knockings. I have seen the Monaco being projected and it the only time ive ever seen horizontal scratches.

Happy days

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2007 06:14 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,the French Monaco came out about mid 1956 I think.The horizontal 4.75mm strip wasn't to bad an idea.The 30ft of home movie I have is quite sharp and well exposed.I think Pathe made an error making a machine to take 9.5 and 4.75. A neat horizontal projector using a 50w 8v lamp and showing 4.75 film only-might have appealed to home moviemakers [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 10, 2007 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hang on to that strip of 4.75mm film Trev. It's probably the only sample of 'Pathescope Vistavision' left in the world!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 12, 2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope..I have a couple of films and also some un exposed camera film. As a more than keen Duplexa in recent years I know of several folk within the UK who have and project 4.75. A couple of years ago I thought only 1 or 2 people in the UK had it, but there are more about than I thought. Very interesting and I was pleased to find a new camera last year to film it. Joy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC