8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Questions about universal8 releases

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about universal8 releases
Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Germany in 1981/82 were following titles released with a logo of universal eight films:

"Masada" (1981) (mini) TV series
...aka "Antagonists, The" (1981) (mini) (UK)
2 x 400 feet color sound

Smokey and the Bandit II (1980)
...aka Smokey and the Bandit Ride Again (1980) (UK)
2 x 400 feet color sound

Conquest of the Earth (1980) (TV)
...aka Galactica III: Conquest of the Earth (1980) (TV)
2 x 400 feet color sound

Xanadu (1980)
2 x 400 feet color sound

[Confused] Now my question: Was any title above released on the english spoken market? Only Xanadu I´ve seen on a Derann used list some years ago.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Andreas Eggeling

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2003 06:49 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal also released Smokey and the Bandit Part 2 in the U.S. I have the "Xanadu" 800 footer. It was released at the same time with "Blues Brothers" 800 footer, and some other modern releases. I think one of the Cheech and Chong films were also released during this time. (Can anyone confirm this?)

About the Xanadu and Blues Brothers digests-

Niether one was up to the near-perfectly U-8 edited digests from a few years earlier like Jaws, The Sting, Dracula 1979, etc. But were not bad, really. Both were letterboxed nicely, and contained at least a few memerable music numbers. The Blues Brothers digest seemed to concentrate more on action scenes, like the police chases, so they cut out some of the great songs. You will never see Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, or Carrie Fisher, so be warned. Still in spite of this, its an enjoyable digest. Xanadu is not as good. I used a couple of scenes for short, self contained clips, like the "I'm Alive" number by E.L.O. (I plan to re-record it in stereo.)

The color on these two titles has held up much better than the earlier releases like Jaws. They may have been printed on better stock, since these were the last releases from Universal 8. Nick.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC