8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Storage question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Storage question
Richard Clark
Junior

- posted November 16, 2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I was wondering what is the best way to rewind films are they better wound tight on the reel or loose ? I have got some films from different sources and some have got film curl, and i wonder what previous owners have done wrong?
Also can some one tell me what is the vinegar smell i have heard about and what causes it and how do we avoid it on our films?.
Best Regards to all
Richard..

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2003 03:59 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Film should be wound tight on the reel and even. This helps prevent cinch marks when someone pulls the end of the fillm to tighten the roll and also dust and dirt from collecting on the edge and working it's way into the film.

Film will curl for a number of reasons, but the most common are loose wind and improper humidity and temperature storage. A good tight wind will help correct some of this but some 16mm collectors treat their film with chemicals when this happens.

VS (or vinegar syndrome) is a sign that the film base itself is breaking down. Storage in tightly sealed cans can cause this to feed on itself and accelerate the problem. Open air or "breathing" storage will help the outgassing and make the film last longer. Some types of film have more of a problem with this than others and whether its also caused by printing processing is a matter for discussion.

Kodak sells a "molecular sieve" which absorbs the acid gas given off by the film and slows down the process. I really haven't heard of much of a problem with this in 8mm films. Eventually the film becomes "gooy" and will not run and sticks to itself.

This problem does not occur with estar based film prints.

John

Richard Clark
Junior

- posted November 19, 2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Thanks for the info regarding the film winding, I have just rewound and lubricated a 1936 film which had film curl so hopefully it should be ok I will keep a check on it from time to time.Also I have put it on a new reel as it looked a bit warped too.
Thanks again and if there are any other tips for film storage from anyone I would love to hear them.
Best Regards to all

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC