8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » a french curiosity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a french curiosity
Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rare French projector on Ebay: Pathé 95mm and 9mm5 panoramic

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3384183219&category=52522

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 04, 2004 06:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antoine,
This is the famous (or infamous!)Pathescope "Vistavision" projector, using 4.75mm film running horizontally thru the projector. The projector gate and lens is on a turret which can be rotated vertically so that the projector can also show normal 9.5mm film. This is an extremely rare item, only a handful were ever made. You've got to admit , it's a great looking piece of work. I believe Trevor down in New Zealand is lucky enough to have one of these in his collection-maybe he can shed some light on it. It will be very interesting to see what this sells for on eBay!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2004 03:59 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Type "Pathe Monaco" into Google search and you will come up with details of this odd machine.Paul is right,I have one.At times I've thought I need a pilots licence to drive it!So many things are adjustable.It certainly wasn't a projector you could just flick from 9.5mm to 4.75mm.Having said that,we have all become used to piano key switches,remotes and the like.Maybe I've lost the "skill"to drive my Monaco? The best wee ninefiver I have is the Europ.I'd love an old Bolex fitted with a cold lamp.......Trev
PS If you can get a Monaco for $500 you will be doing well!

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 11, 2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Trev,
Well the Monaco did not sell, even at 350 Euros! I would love to know what the reserve price was on this beauty. This would be a great projector to have, but I suspect that finding any 4.75mm film to run through it, would be just about impossible, in fact a roll of 4.75 mm film might sell for 350 Euros by itself! Based on the film frame area, I would think that the quality of the 4.75mm widescreen frame was probably about the same as standard 8mm. Looking at the pictures on the eBay site, my first thought is that Pathe could have had a far simpler (and less costly) design, if they had taken the approach of simply rotating the whole projector 90 degrees for the 4.75mm widescreen film, instead of rotating the lens turret and claw mechanism. Anyway, a very bold concept by Pathescope, which unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) could not compete with the overwhelming popularity of standard 8mm.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 04:29 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gi'day Paul,the reserve was 500euro,it didn't seem to appeal to the collectors I know.The vendor is quite a well known(on the net) projector collector.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC