8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Traces width

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Traces width
Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 05:40 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does someone know what is the width of the sound traces on the 0,45 and 0,8mm tapes for main and balance sides, in the super 8?
Thanks

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 08:33 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean, Ugo?
They are the fugures you quoted: 0.8 and 0.45 respectively for main and balance stripe. Actually when talking about Kodak's (bygone) pre-striped film, I think they were somewhat smaller, but just a little bit.
Cheers.

--------------------
Maurizio

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 09:17 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You answered me! Well, smaller, but how much? 0,78 on 0,8? 0,43 on 0,45?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the reply to another post of yours, I actually understood what you mean: are the sound heads smaller than the soundstripes?
To the best of my knowledge the answer is: this is almost irrelevant under the point of view of sound heads performance: in fact the S/8 gauge has inherent tolerances that, should the sound head be a hair less wide than the stripe, this would compensate the fact that film always presents a certain degree of breath widthwise. Were it not this the case, the film would get stuck to the various film guides. This is something impossible to occur in reel to reel tape recorders, because magnetic tape is much more elastic than movie film and adapts itself to more srtringent tolerances without problems.

I think sound heads in S/8 prj's are a little less wide than the stripes themselves but I don't think there international standards: on some Eumig sound heads of early series (700's), probably manufactured by the German based firm Woelke in Munchen, the balance stripe head has the same width as the main stripe head. This, I guess, while not affecting performances in terms of high frequency output, enables the system to really exploit the stripe in its entire width. Ture there is a loss of magnetic energy flowing from the gap during recording, but that only results in an output signal a little weaker than expected, which , in any case, can be compensated for electronically.

But why are you interested in this, if I may ask?

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC