8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New claw for the GS1200!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New claw for the GS1200!!!
Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2004 07:00 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear friends,
one of my friends is the owner of a factory able to make industrial machines. He has the tools to make a clone of the GS1200 original claw! Next month we start with the first prototype: we want to use the modern technologies to obtain a stronger iron for the pins!
When the little production will start, you'll find the claws on ebay!
Do you think there is a market for it? The price will be not expensive, less the price of the last original spare parts.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 06, 2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Ugo thats amazing, great stuff, hope I manage to get a GS one day and at least with this sort of effort they will keep going for years.
I`d say looking at the excellant gate material that will never wear out at all.
Well done, hope it pans out well.
best Mark.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2004 11:20 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Eumig with a broken claw and I understand that might be a common problem caused by changing the format gate with claw in wrong possition. Might be a consideration for your friend to produce as well.
If these do become available how difficult to change?
( Sort of how many spanners as per Haynes car manuals.)

--------------------
Regards,
David

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IHad the same problem with a Eumig but found a repairer who had a jig to produce a new one. It was not expensive (circa £20 I think)and the company was

Sprockets - 01823 672050

I did not realise at the time that it was necessary to retract the claw before changing formats (didn't even know what a claw was then!)

Tony

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 02:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put me down for one Ugo. Just send it through with an invoice!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo,

probably cost me more to get that very very nice man Mr Elmo to show me how to fit it but sounds like a great idea!

Tony

p.s. If he wants to be paid in Scotch it would be cheaper to come over to Italy!

--------------------
Tony

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2004 05:18 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi friends,
about the other projectors I think it's not a good idea to make a clone of their claws. It's easy to find, for example, a cheaper old Eumig and to get from it the claw for a 938 or 940 (I hope are the same). About the Elmo machines, the claws are equals in every model. So it's possible to get the claw from a low budget model to mount it in a GS1200 or an ST1200. The problem is that for every Elmo machine you have to pay not less than 150/200 euro.
And now the problem: how to change the claw?
At first: you pay to me a ticket fly... [Big Grin]
Better: you study the service manual for the GS1200. Under the guide of this book it's easy - really - to understand how the change the claw (and a lot of others works).

Ugo

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2004 04:10 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo

Perhaps you should set up a claw replacement clinic at the BFCC [Smile] that way all the money you get changing claws would pay for your ticket over.

Come to think of it you could team up with Kev', he could do a quick service [rub down with an oily rag, that sort of thing] and between you we could have the worlds first travelling Elmo service station [Cool]

Trouble is, all us Elmo owners would be booked into Ealing General by the end of the day for Hernia surgery. [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Razz]

ps. put me down for a claw when they go into production!

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC