8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Opening up a Canon 512 or 814 XL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opening up a Canon 512 or 814 XL?
Jonathan Dawes
Junior

- posted March 18, 2004 09:57 AM      Profile for Jonathan Dawes   Email Jonathan Dawes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I've got a 512XL where the lightmeter sticks slightly, and the manual exposure doesn't work (it just goes to f2) so I reckon they could be related.

I want to open it up, but I can't work out how to get the dial buttons off.
I've managed to remove the top section to see the viewfinder (after uncovering the screws hidden beneath the leatherette) but that doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Many thanks
Jonathan

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jonathon

Welcome to the forum [Smile] . Can't really be of any assistance with your camera, I see you have posted the same query on the film shooting forum, you might have more luck finding camera techies over there but you might also be interested to know that 'Old Timer Cameras' have the repair manual for your camera; http://www.oldtimercameras.com/stock/Model.asp?Model=1871&ModelPage=true if you're planning on stripping it down it might be a good investment [Wink] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jonathan Dawes
Junior

- posted March 23, 2004 05:47 AM      Profile for Jonathan Dawes   Email Jonathan Dawes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
thanks, but no joy so far. I managed to get the thing open and I have fixed a sicking solenoid that caused it to run on when the trigger was released (magnetised) and the sticking expsure meter (bent blades on the iris) so it works fully in auto mode now. I just need to work out how to fix the manual setting of the apeture... Hmm.

Best regards
Jonathan

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathon

Sounds like you're pretty handy with complicated bits of techy equipment. I am rarely brave enough to crack open a camera for fear of finishing it off completely, I have a pretty bad track record in my house for making matters worse and after the episode with the cat and washing machine..... [Roll Eyes]

As you are in London have you tried 'Blue Corners Audio visual'? They used to have a shop on Upper Street in Islington, I think they might have moved now but understand they are still trading and providing a repair service for super 8 equipment.

If you take it along to them they might be able to advise you.

Good luck

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jonathan Dawes
Junior

- posted March 31, 2004 08:50 AM      Profile for Jonathan Dawes   Email Jonathan Dawes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
thanks for the info, it may come in handy.
I managed to work out a scheme for the manual apeture, it's not pretty, but I think it should prove reliable. I have no wish to take this thing apart again!

I know what you mean about equipment. I have an illustrious childhood history of taking apart things that never went back together again. The trick is to learn this on things that are expendable... eventually you get the hang of it.

In hindsight taking this apart too far could have been very destructive. It looks like a lot of the metering setup for example, or the internal focusing onto the film is very carefully adjusted. If you mess with it and don't know what you're doing you could make the camera useless.

Most times, though, even this sort of stuff can be overcome, *IF* you make sure to mark the exact position of everything before you remove it.

I'd encourage people to try this sort of thing, just make sure you start on something you don't mind breaking, and then move onto something that's never going to get fixed unless you do it (what do you have to lose?)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC