8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 940

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 940
Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2004 04:48 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone offer any opinions about this machine? I saw an ad for one of these projectors and even though I know that I shouldn't buy any more projectors, I'm afraid I'm tempted.

I've used a lot of older Eumig's and even though they have their peculiarities, I always liked them. As a matter of fact, I still use a Mark-S for my N8 films (I think it is as close to a slot-load projector as you can get for 8mm/S8mm films).

I used to have a couple of 905's. Not all that good for a normal film show, but excellent machines for showing film-loops. They used to be running for hours, without failing, at parties showing the same film-loop over and over again (without a trace on the film, even though it passed through the projector hundreds of times during the evening)

Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked. I seem to remember that people on this forum had opinions about some of the Eumig stereo models (926, 938 and 940). Some positive, some negative. Searching the forum didn't help me retrieving these opinions though. Anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2004 05:19 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a minty 940 a couple of years ago.For some reason I got a lot of jitter in the gate-even with excellent film..Then it started giving my lamp about 100 volts(!)Then it developed a knocking noise I couldn't eliminate.Sound was very good though.I'm sure these problems were singular to my lemon but they helped me to decide to jettison it!

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 25, 2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
I have a Eumig 938. The design is the same as the 940, except the 940 has a digital read out frame counter instead of a mechanical film counter on the 938. The 940 also has LED'S for the recording level indicator , instead of the analog meters on the 938 (I prefer the 938 meters which are beautiful). Other than this the projectors are identical.
Anyway I cannot recommend the 938 highly enough. It is a wonderful machine, very quiet, extremely gentle on film, an unfailing auto-threader mechanism, takes 800ft spools, has a very bright 150w lamp, never -ever puts a mark on your film! Did I miss anything? Oh yes, the sound quality is truly superb, better in my opinion than the Elmo GS1200. Add to that the beautiful side mounted sound console, which makes recording so easy, and you have a projector which is only bettered by the Elmo GS1200. In FACT THE 938 is probably better for home shows than the GS1200, since it is a much quieter projector, and is much lighter (20 lbs) than the 36 lb GS. The British magazine "Movie Maker" was very enthusiastic about this machine and rated it very highly, and so do I. One last word- do NOT confuse the 938 and 940 with the earlier 905 to 930 series. These had a clunky coaxial reel arrangement and no top feed sprocket. They are murder on film -stay away from them. The 938/940 series have a conventional in- line feed path with a feed and take-up sprocket and ,as I said, are as gentle on film as any projector I have seen.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 25, 2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I almost purchased one of those machines..but I couldn't find a way to mount the 1.0 Schneider lens on it....!
[Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 25, 2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
I am lucky to posess a superb Kodak Ektar f1.0 prime (non-zoom) lens off an old Kodak Pagent ssuper 8 sound projector. I machined the barrel down slightly to get it to fit into the Eumig 938 lens mount. With this lens the 150 watt 938 puts out an extremely sharp and contrasty picture, which almost as bright as the 200watt GS1200.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2004 01:13 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I have a EUMIG S 940 STEREO MULTIPROCESSOR in excellent condition and I am thinking about selling it. It comes in the original suitcase, with manual (in German language), power cord, microphone, original EUMIG 800ft. spool, attachable monitor for easy film dubbing and audio cable. The price is 200 English Pounds plus postage (18 English Pounds).

I have collected too much super8mm projectors over the years and now I am focussing on BAUER and ELMO machines. Maybe someone is interested in the EUMIG S 940.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure thae Eumig 800ft reel is very important because the 940 won't take an Elmo 800ft reel.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it accepts the 800'reels but not the ELMO because their diameter is slightly superior to the other reels.

--------------------
Tony

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 07:46 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Does your comments about the 905 to 930 series Eumigs include the Eumig S926 GL stereo projector? Say it ain't so Joe! I just purchased an "as new" unit and I have lusted for one for many years after seeing them in "Super-8mm Filmaker" magazine. It is such a beautiful projector, but I do not care for the feed and take-up reel arrangement. It seems an ideal candidate for an extended reel arrangement located behind the projector so you can show features uninterrupted. Bummer, if it is bad on film. Every Eumig I have owned has been super kind to film. Anybody with experiences to share on this one?

David M. Leugers

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 28, 2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
I have a 926GL Stereo, as well as a 938 stereo. The bad thing about the 926 is the coaxial reel arrangement, combined with the lack of a feed sprocket above the film gate. Because of this the film is jerked off the feed spool by the claw mechanism, which causes the film to flap about wildly as it rolls off the feed spool across the top of the projector. There is a sprung roller above the gate and some tiny rollers which serve to isolate some of the claw jerks, but it does'nt completely solve the problem. If all this is'nt bad enough, the film also has to twist slightly in order to accomodate the side to side displacement necessitated by the coax reel arrangement. Why Eumig went to all this trouble is a total mystery, it was a bad idea on an otherwise superb projector. As I have said, the stereo sound quality on the 926/938/940 is superb, possibly even better than the GS1200, film steadiness is top-notch, and the sound control console is better than any other projector that I have seen. Anyway David there is no need to dispair. I have tamed my 926 GL by fitting two old super 8 rollers midway on top of the machine, so that the film wraps around these rollers before entering the top feed slot. These two rollers significantly dampen and smooth out the flapping motion of the film which occurs in that big leap from the supply spool across the top of the projector. Also keep your projector VERY clean, particularly clean and polish the rollers and twisted film channel area above the gate after every 600ft roll. Also do NOT use this projector to rewind your films, as the tortuous rewinding path is hard on the film. Do all this and the 926 should not scratch your films. As you say Eumig projectors have a deserved reputation for being kind to film, but the 926 definately needs extra care and attention to avoid film scratches because of it's abnormal film path. All these problems were resolved in the later 938/940, where Eumig saw the light and reverted to the standard two sprockets and in-line film path.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2004 12:07 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

My God, what where the Eumig engineers thinking? I tried the rewind on an old useless 200ft print... who in there right mind would use this??? I like the idea of putting rollers above the film gate. I think I will have to come up with a system that entirely eliminates the present feed and take-up system presently on the 926... It still is a beauty and it does have awesome sound and is pretty quiet. I think I'll keep her, and look out for a nice later model. [Smile]

David M. Leugers

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 31, 2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
We had one of these machines and at the time of release they were a very advanced machine especially for those who wanted the sound recorcing side of things, however like all the Eumig machines we ever owned they were bogged down with that awfull clutch system which if not kept scrupulously dry would slow down during projection almost to a standstill. The sound quality was excellent and it was a very quite projector but it is of course a matter of opinion, i steer clear of these now and opt fo elmo because of their reliability. I'm sure i still have the owners manual in mint condition for the 940. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC