8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Gladiator Extract..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gladiator Extract..
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 28, 2004 01:12 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning. Awesome. The people here were right when they said that the Phantom Menace, while good, was not up to the Gladiator cut down.
This extract, "The Battle of Carthage" is a beautiful print. The sound is great and the picture in Scope looks terrific. Pin sharp and the colors are dead on. It is exactly like how I remembered it in the theatres. I had to watch it 3 times in a row!
Is the Pearl Harbor extract as good as this? Or the Lord of the Rings?

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2004 01:54 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pearl Harbor knocks spots off it; Lord of the Rings is not quite as good. However, Pearl Harbor was done a couple of years ago and the printing always varies. The print quality seems to be at best when a release first comes out.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having seen Pearl Harbour at JC's I was so impressed I went straight out and bought a copy, it is worth every penny. Lord of the Rings was a bit on the dark side for my liking with the highlights looking burnt out so I suspect it is not one I will keep long term (any offers?????)

Looking forward to screening Gladiator 2...

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 29, 2004 04:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think the second Gladiator release is as good as the first. It has a bluish, high contrast look to it and grain which makes the whole print look like a dupe. [Frown] Sound quality however is excellent. [Smile] I have to say I was dissapointed with this second release. Duncan, if your reading, why the differance on this extract?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2004 02:09 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely right Kevin, the second extract isn't as good as the first. We've already spoken to Duncan about it and he is going to ask the labs if there is anything they can do. However, it's interesting that as the reel goes on the picture seems to get better.

It's still an excellent release and worth every penny.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 02, 2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dare say that extract is a harder one to get right, even on the dare I mention it video projector the diffference between those sections is very very obvious with the carthage bit far sharper and clearer and better colours, well I think.
Sounds like a great release mind.
Best Mark.

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2004 10:21 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can a cutdown of Pearl Harbour be found? I checked Derann's site but didn't see it listed.

Thanks, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2004 01:42 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann have "Pearl Harbor". It's an import but I'm sure they still have copies or can get hold of more. It runs about 18 minutes so will be about £50 but worth it when you see the end result. There aren't too many cuts in it so quite easy to put a stereo track on it from the DVD or VHS.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC