8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Posso 700 m Spool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Posso 700 m Spool
Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2004 06:46 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.
I recently purchased two Posso 700 m reel (about 2,400' each), or at least, they claim they can accept up to that much of film. In actuality I tried to screen my full length print of Die Harder (which is 4x600'), but the last 400' could not be wound as the take up reel was brim full. So I do not understand what has happened, because the spools have a diameter of 381 mm (which according to Wittener's website, should accommodate 700 of film). More to it this spool seems to be the one Beaulieu used to equip its 708 with. Any ideas?
Thanks

--------------------
Maurizio

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2004 09:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the film stock is thicker than the spool manufacturer was expecting. Possibly they based the length on Fuji stock which is substantially thinner.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2004 10:56 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The problems with determining reel capacity are many. The factors are film thickness (estar is thinner than acetate, stripped stock is thicker and harder to wind than unstriped stock) as well as the "force" of the take up and the quality of the print in winding properly. Old or warped prints don't like to wind evenly and take up more room on a reel.

For those interested, there are formulas that can calculate the footage that will fit on a given reel. You take the center hub size and apply a forumla for a spiral along with the thickness of the material and determine either footage for a given diameter or the diameter for a given footage.

You can also earn extra money calculating the running time on records (the same formula) for the old vinyl and 78s.

Fun with math.

John

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2004 04:31 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Maurizio

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2004 04:32 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Die Harder is printed on polyester stock so it SHOULD be thinner, and winds up evenly without stealing extra room. Plus my Fumeo winds up with the proper force. But strangely enough Fumeo 700 m spools are about 1 cm wider in diameter. So Posso was probably too optimistic.
What I'd like to know is: has anybody actually succedeed in winding 700 m of film of a current Derann print on these spools?

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC