8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My first BFCC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first BFCC
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 03, 2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my wife and I have finally returned to Florida after 3 fabulous weeks in the UK. What a great country, fabulous scenery, warm friendly people, and great weather! Naturally I scheduled our UK vacation to include the BFCC, and I was not disapponted. I thought the venue of the Ealing Town Hall was perfect, permitting large screen presentation in the big hall. It was great to finally meet Keith Wilton and John Clancy (two really nice people) both of whom made us feel right at home. In a way it was like meeting old friends, because of Keith's Armchair Odeons videos I immediately recognized many people, such as Barry Littlechild, John Bird, and Colin Clark ("The Colinseum"!), and because of Brad's super 8 forum I recognized Mike Peckham (another nice guy and not nearly as sinister as his forum picture would suggest!), and Chris Quinn. Too bad Mr Elmo could'nt make it, I would have liked to have met Kevin. We also chatted with Doug from New York, and he was obviously having a great time and enjoying his first BFCC.
There were plenty of dealers selling some really tempting films, which I had to force myself to resist purchasing (I need to pay for this vacation first!). The film presentations were excellent. I watched the 16mm film about Bell & Howell film projectors, and found it most interesting, but it was the super 8 that I had really come to see, and I was amazed to see the tiny S8 projected onto a 24 ft Cinemascope screen and looking really good! The Puse synch-to -DVD THX presentations can only be described as awesome. The THX sound thru John Clancy's audio system was as good or better than any theatre sound I have heard, with terrific stereo channel separation and surround (How he achieved this in a temporary set up is beyond me). Combined with beautiful sharp prints from Derann's latest Scope releases, and Classic's Spiderman feature, it was just about impossible to believe you were watching super 8.
Anyway thanks to Keith and John for putting on a really great show which had to be seen to be believed, and for making my wife and I feel most welcome.(It was a BIG mistake taking her to the BFCC-she now knows the real cost of the films!)
The only complaint I had was the parking. It cost me $20.00 to park my car in a nearby car park!
To any US collectors even thinking of going to the October BFCC, I would urge you not to hesitate. You are in for a reel treat! To the UK collectors who don't go , and complain about the long drive to Ealing, I say if Doug and I can make it from the States, you should have no complaints!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul

It was great to meet you and your wife, I'm glad also to hear that I don't look as sinister in reel life as my forum photo suggests [Smile] . The show was great as always which is testimony to Keith and John and all the dealers and enthusiasts that make it possible, but for me this show was definately more enjoyable for the opportunity to meet up with so many people that I have been chatting with on-line for so long, the projection area between shows became a real, international social gathering.

I hope to meet even more first timers in October! [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 03, 2004 06:49 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ill give someone here a nickel if they can tell me when the next BFCC is? [Smile]
Exact dates please!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2004 01:06 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan

I can't claim your nickel I'm afraid becuse the October date doesn't seem to have been set yet. But if you keep an eye on the BFCC web site; http://www.bfcc.biz/ the date should be on there soon.

Are you thinking of coming over then?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2004 02:18 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, it's the 23rd October. I just want to be damned sure we've got it right before it goes up on the site. Sorry for keeping you in suspense Alan. Please bear in mind that we use the lesser Queens Hall (in the Ealing Town Hall but in the basement and about a minute away from the dealer rooms) for the October convention. It's a completely different event in several respects.

1) The cinema is much smaller. Obviously the screen is therefore more impactive but it's just not as impressive as having it on the stage in the massive Victoria Hall. However, we are able to black-out the room more successfully.
2) We don't show off quite so much with sync' pulse shows, THX Ultra sound and the like.
3) There are lectures, talks or demonstrations. At the next one I think we have all three.
4) Subject study shows. The next one should be Concorde, one year to the day (almost) after it went out of service.

Paul, I'm glad you enjoyed the day. It was really nice to meet you and Betty. I hope she's now decided to take up the hobby and is looking through Perry's latest list as I write this. Thanks for making such an effort to come.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2004 06:17 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Nice to meet you at the BFCC and sorry about the parking. There is a car park at the back of the hall which Mr O'Reilly tells me is free if you arrive before 8am but only £2 ($3.6) if you arrive after....that's for the whole day!

See you in October
Tony

p.s not sure the photo of Mike is not accurate

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC