8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » When an Elmo Gs1200 meets Jack the ripper...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When an Elmo Gs1200 meets Jack the ripper...
Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/forum2/down1

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/forum2/down2

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/forum2/down3

This is the check up I made to an Elmo of one of my friends. It did not run perfectly so I decided to control the cam and the claw. On the cam there was some little "wrinkles". This was a defect from the factory. After a polished the defect is disappear

[ April 29, 2005, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Ugo Grassi ]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2004 08:54 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
You are a brave and talented man. A total tear down. How long did it take you to tear it down and build it back up?

John

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2004 03:27 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say the Kev. is able to do a job like this. To change the shutter (he does it) it's necessary to disassemble the machine.
I started to disassemble the Elmo Gs after I bought a Service manual copy on eBay.
Time? One day: from the morning to the dinner (in the south of Italy about 20 o' clock)... without haste.
Of course I make these works during raining Sundays!! [Wink]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 05, 2004 08:58 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ugo,
I have also done the 2-bladed shutter replacement on the GS1200, and like you it also took me a whole day. I had an e-mail with Kev sometime back and he claim's he can do the job in a couple of hours. He must really know his way around these machines!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2004 09:17 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
yes, to change the shutter only two hours are enough. But if you look the photos you see I disassembled the claw too.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 08, 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ugo,
I have done that too. My record time is about 2 hours for a complete strip down.
I did Tony Milman's machine while he waited.
If I have to go as far as removing the claw etc I also check that the claw tips have no wear in them as this can also lead to bad film movement. The lower claw will be the worse as thats the one which does the work. It will eventually get a groove worn into it which can give an unsteady frame line. Remove the groove and the machine will run very steady and much quieter.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two hours to change the claw too? oh oh it's too much fast for me!! I live in south of Italy: there is the coffe break, the telephone call by a friends, out of the window there is the sun and I like to watch it... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
About the lower pin: one time I removed the groove, but the result was not durable. The pin is made with a dealt steel, therefore harder. If you work the pin, you leave the iron "naked", and it is not durable. So when I find the groove I change the claw.

Kevin: your envelope isn't arrive yet! When I'll get I'll send to you a mail.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2004 06:13 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it is true that Kev can strip in a flash! BUT 2 hours? While you wait? Just depends really on how many fag breaks he has to have and worst of all, you are tempted by a steak and kidney for lunch with all the trimmings!

Joking apart, he is damned quick and the GS runs lovely (thanks Kev)

Tony

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC