8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help With Arc Lamp Wanted!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help With Arc Lamp Wanted!
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realise that this is really an 8 mm forum but wanted to ask for help regarding a MARC 300 lamp in a B & H 16 mm projector. Just bought a new lamp and installed it. It worked perfectly for about an hour last night. On striking it tonight, it lit but went out after 5 minutes and seems to be refusing to restrike at all. Checked all of the obvious things; fuses, connections etc. all ok. Any advice as I realise some of you may use arc lamps in 8 mm machines such as the GS1200 Xenon. Any help gratefully received. Thanks. Simon.

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,
Welcome aboard.
I do not have an answer to your question,
but it is good to ask it here.

If there is not anyone here for a reply
you may wish to also try the www.16mmfilms.com
forum.

Best.
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2004 02:12 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a similar problem with one of these lamps. After 14 hours of use it wouldn't strike. Fortunately I have a variable power supply and cranking this up to full got it to strike and gave me about a further 80 hours.

It could be that not enough power is getting through. Can you try the lamp in another machine? Do you have another lamp to try?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon, How many hours has the lamp done so far? Maybe its at the end of it's life and what John said about cranking up the voltage may work. Maybe knocking the voltgae selector from the 240V position to the 230V position may get it to strike?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice; The lamp (G E MARC 300) was brand new. The fault is in the power pack, which sits underneath the B & H 666. I know this because the lamp strikes perfectly in another machine. The fault is with either the large capacitors or the bridge rectifier, but probably the caps. Anyone know of a cheap large voltage capacitor supplier?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 20, 2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Try RS Components as they have a fairly large range of capacitors.

http://rswww.com

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC