8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Virus in a super 8 site

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virus in a super 8 site
Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited this page: super 8 metadirectory. When starts an advertising (pop up?), my antivirus stops my PC!!
The virus found is:
Win32/TrojanDownloader.Small.FO
The page is:
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/index.html#Sound

How to do to inform the site administrator?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

|  IP: Logged

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2004 10:21 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SO THAT IS WHERE I GOT THIS COMPUTER VIRUS!! You are so correct, I visited that site and since then i have had trouble beyond belief!! and get this, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF IT! NOTHING SEEMS TO WRK>.>ANY HELP? man, i hate computers, i only use them to get to super 8 collectors and such. help... rob

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2004 11:28 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
fortunecity sites are just all bad news. It just to be gator attacks and now this.

Do you have the lastest Norton AntiVirus and updated the definitions and removal tools? If you don't you need to get them. There is an over the internet scan at trendmicro.com and you'll have to find the "house call" area and hopefully have a high speed connection to run it.

Once Norton or your other software identifies the problem then you then proceed to remove it. There are so many variants of these that you have to get the tools from Norton.

just stay away from fortunecity sites no matter what.

John

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 16, 2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, well done. i thought i was the only one, its F***** up my computor a treat, altered my registry and all. Despite a good virus checker i now have to get my mate to erase my hard drive and start again, i suspected this forum as the source, some sad twat obviously got nothing better to do at home with his or her PC. [Mad]
This is a particuly nasty virus, i have eradicated it but the damage is already done to my windows registry, it alters the registry to make sure you always end up logging onto there site, you need to find the file in you windows explorer and delete it, I do have to say microsoft windows is a pile of shit, if only more people used linux, i will be, Linux is an excellent system and has built in pop up stoppers, antivirus programms, CD burning programs and most importantly, knows how to organise files properly erradicating the use of crappy defragmention and scaning needs, as well as all this and more it isn't spy-wear. Microsoft windws is, they know what we all look at and put files into your pc which you dont know about, Try downloading these two free pices of software, AVG antivirus, and addaware. Addaware will amaze you by picking out and letting you delete all spywear files, i had 275 i never knew about. many Europeon governments are now looking at linux as a much better and cheaper system, the only down side at the mo is very few games will run on it but i dont use a PC for games so doesnt bother me. My mates in work use it and never get viruses as 99% of them are written to upset the microsoft crap so linux users get very few probs, I'LL BE THERE SOON. [Wink]

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2004 04:36 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Adware is an excellent program and its FREE!!!

It's wise to back up your windows registry and then when you have a problem like this you can "restore" the old registry file. Just make sure you do it after you've finished installing all your devices (printers, scanners, etc) and they're all working properly. Start "REGEDIT" and then from the "registry" menu select export registry, select a location and a name you can recognize later. Then in an emergency you can go back to REGEDIT and import your file and overwrite the registry file and remove those nasties.

You can also "edit" the registry if you know where to look and what to look for.

I'm just a die hard, but a re-install is something I do as a last resort.

John

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 17, 2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, thanks for the info, i will do that when i re-install. Like you re-installing is muy very last resort, i.ve spent hours trying to go thru the reg but have been unsuccsessful, good advise from you there, much appreciated. [Wink]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2004 02:17 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Although not the same site I had a similar problem whilst downloading the firewall. In the end I had to re-install and then do all the upgrades by Microsoft! Lesson learned- install antivirus and firewall before going on the net!

Good luck

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 18, 2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I also copped a virus on that site. I have to say that Norton picked that worm up and deleted it before I had any further problems.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC