8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » lost in space

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lost in space
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2004 06:32 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the first episode form this series on super 8 does anybody know who released this the boxes are stamped with the lost in space reel 1,2,3 and has reel image on the top, thanks for any info.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 17, 2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant answer the question but just wanted to say "what a find", can i be nosey and ask what that copy cost? I knew it was on 8mm but have never seen it on any lists here in the UK. [Wink]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2004 06:58 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom I bought it from Derann for about 165.00 us dollars

--------------------
jim schrader

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 18, 2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one. Look after it, its a rare one. [Wink]

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 'Perry's Movies' advertising this in one of their old catalogues in the early 80's as an import from the U.S., and I believe it was a "Reel Images" release.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2004 11:55 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Lost In Space" Pilot you're talking about was, indeed, released by REEL IMAGES back in the late 70's/early 80's. they were a small outfit based out of Sandy Hook, CT. They also had subsidiaries (RADIOLA RECORDS, RADIO YESTERYEAR and VIDEO YESTERYEAR). I do believe they are like all the others - Defunct/Kaput. IMAGES specialized primarily in Public Domain properties and their pre-print materials often left something do be desired. I have a print of "Africa Screams" that they did and although the picture is ok - the audio sounds like it was recorded in a styrofoam cup - very low treble. I remember exchanging it for a 2nd copy and the exchange copy was the same way. So, it was the only print I bought from them.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2004 12:40 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I believe that your super 8 Lost in Space "The Reluctant Stowaway" is from The Reel Image in Connecticut. I made several purchases from them in thier final three years (around 1990).

I would give them a rating of A to B-. They were very efficient and quality of most items were very good (about like Canturbury Films). One nice feature from them was the animated classic "Fantastic Planet". The colors werent that great, but equalled all VHS versions I had seen at that time.

I, being a Lost in Space fan, always noticed this title in the Reel Image catalogs, and in fact, had it on my long "to buy" list. Unfortunately, they were closed down before I got around to it (like so many companies at that time). Nick.

PS- How's the quality?

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi james the quality is quite good as a matter of fact I now have 2 copys of this one is on ebay now the contrast is good and the sound is very good, they left out the trailer for next week but then again the three reels were just about full any how here is the link if you want to bid on it, by the way how much was it going for in the catalog you saw it in? I do have a reserve on it because of the rarity.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6302420230&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

--------------------
jim schrader

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim

What you have there is not the pilot - the pilot doesn't have Dr. Smith or the Robot in it.. What you probably have is the first episode which was called "The Reluctant Stowaway" which was not technically a pilot since they had already sold the series...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2004 02:27 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Steven is correct- this is actually the first episope of the series. Not to worry, most will agree that "The Reluctant Stowaway" (the one you have) is actually much better than the actual pilot. Dr. Smith and the Robot were added to the show to make the series more interesting- and indeed it did.....indeed it did. Nick.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2004 06:35 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's right guys thanks for all your input, steve have you found canister for the film i bought for you?

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC