8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS-800 film playback speed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS-800 film playback speed
John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2004 02:03 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

In an attempt to capture to Digital-8 our families 18fp/s Super 8mm home movie stock I increased the playback speed of our GS-800 to its maximum setting, the capture resulted in excessive flicker. Elmo states that the GS-800 18fp/s speed can be adjusted approximately +-1fp/s (i.e. 1fp/s slower than 20fp/s.) Gauging by the results observed on our capture monitor the GS-800's manual adjustment range is about 1fp/s short of reducing the telecine timing flicker mismatch during D-8 capture, a hair more speed is required to syncronize the transfer. Is there an internal adjustment pot within our 800 that we can temporarily adjust to allow us to reach 20pf/s for camcorder capture of our home movie Super 8mm stock?

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 19, 2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
If you take off the plastic cover, there is a small board with 2 little screws. One for the 18fps and one for the 24fps. Turning them clockwise should speed up the motor. Kev, can you clarify?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Alan you are correct. There are two presets but not sure which is which on the GS800. John, before you adjust anything mark the position they are in at present so that you can put them back when you are finished.
To determine which of the 2 pots to turn, put the machine in the 18fps mode and then with a screw driver short out the legs of the pots. Its best to do this by shorting the centre connection to each of the outside connections in turn. You should hear or see the machine speed up or down when you have the right pot. By doing this you can leave the all important 24FPS adjustment pot well alone knowing that your sound films will play back at the correct speed.
While we are on this topic, the GS1200 has a small board sitting on the RHS of the machine when you have the rear cover removed. There are 2 pots on this board. The Left pot is for 18FPS and the right one is for 24 FPS. I think Elmo have allways had the 18fps on the left and the 24fps on the right but am not 100% sure about this. Interesting, but Elmo have the speeds marked on the rear of the board which you can't see unless you put a small mirror under the board - typical!
Really for this sort of work you are better off with a 5 blade shutter but then you get no light for normal projection.
Happy pot twiddling [Wink]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2004 10:28 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all, I'll let you know how it goes. After further analysis I believe my speed mismatch may be caused more by my Sony D-8 camera rather than slow film speed. It appears that Sony digital camcorder shutter speeds run normally at 100fp/s rather than 60fp/s. There is a manual shutter function, I'll attempt to set it to 60fp/s and then re-sync with my 800.

It may be a few more evenings before I have the time to experiment again, I'll post my findings.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC