8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » AFI 100 Best Movie Songs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AFI 100 Best Movie Songs
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 24, 2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody watch the AFI 100 Best Movie Songs on CBS tuesday night? I thought it was a great 3 hours of timeless movie music. It was nice to see all those great clips from the great movie musicals again ( and nice to know that I have very many of them on super 8 !). I thought some of the selections were a little strange, for example the inclusion of some obscure RAP music( when was the last time you whistled to RAP music?!!) and the inclusion of some fringe material like the theme from SHAFT and, of all things, "Springtime for Hitler"- boy that one was a real hit!!. Also there was only one Al Dubin song included (42 nd street) and he wrote many other great musical scores such as "I only have eyes for you" , from DAMES). Still, selecting the 100 best songs from a list of thousands is no easy task, and who can disagree with the AFI top ten selection with "Over the Rainbow" coming in at number one. Altogether a great evenings viewing.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul,
Glad to hear some positive views on the Tuesday night telecast.
I watched the last 2 hours, and thought it was pretty good.
It is stylish and fun.
My complaint in how they format the "100 best" within a
3 hour telecast, leaves me wishing that they would not
have dramatically trimmed the movie clips, inorder to make space
for how 5 different people in entertainment need to critique
a segment for longer than which it is shown. Plus today's
film and music (non talent) stars critiquing yesterdays classics is an oxymoron.
For me, I just tune them out. Especially when they had a Spike Lee
Movie Track? -I'm confused with their choice with that selection.

I guess the choice in picking the SHAFT title song is because
it was a popular top 40 hit on radio stations back in the 70's,
regarding the Issac Hayes lyric in the song that says:
"They say this Shaft is a BAD Mother...."
"...Shut your Mouth!" (sung by the background
chorus in response to Hayes phrasing the rap as if he is about to curse) was very provacative for it's day. Cursing in RAP music today is the norm.

Regarding Judy Garland, she was without question, indeed the best female performer of the 20th Century. I'm so pleased that they got that part of the program correct.

Would anyone on the Forum reccommend the S8 Feature of Wizard of Oz?
Is it sharp and printed with excellent definition?

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 24, 2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the pleasure of filming a number of the interviews for the AFI 100 Best series. We shoot them with 3 cameras. The first angle is a medium shot fairly straight on, the second is a close-up almost at a right angle to the subject, and the third is an extreme wide shot either quite high or almost ground level showing cameras, monitors, etc.. The producers have to include current stars because the Network feels that will help pull in a wider demographic range. I remember Hugh Jackman being very funny, and he also went out of his way to greet everyone on the crew.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC