8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Motor Noise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Motor Noise
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably nothing at all but I have noticed that when running the main motor on my GS1200 gives out a high pitched whine. Kev heard it and it then seemed to go away for a while but is now back. New belt fitted etc etc.

Anyone else experience anything like that?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, my kids have been known to whine a bit when they want something. [Big Grin]

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 05, 2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,
I think the motor noise can only be one of two things:

1) Bearing noise- try a couple of drops of oil on the two motor bearings.

2) Brush noise- unscrew the brushes and assess their condition. If the carbon blocks are worn you will have to replace them.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, thanks. Unfortunately the model I have does not have the access points to the brushes that some others do. It really is not that noticeable most of the time-just me being picky I guess. I think it would be a good idea thought to look out for a Sankyo as a source of a spare motor!

I have noticed that when working on the machine there is a little bit of an arc when you stop and start the motor- you can see this through the inspection hole at the bottom of the motor. It is not arcing when running

Tony
Tony

--------------------
Tony

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2004 06:06 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,
dont't worry, it's possible to clean the motor inside also when it's not possible to access directly to the brushes.
You have to remove the belt, to disconnect the motor supply from the board socket, and to unscrew the screws which hold the motor framework to the projector. Now you have the motor in your hand! Well, now to release the motor from the framework, and to disassemble the little fun and the belt pulley.
Look on the body motor: there are three BRONZE screws. If you unscrew that, you'll open the motor.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2004 06:30 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo, thanks for the information. What would you suggest that the motor is cleaned with? Can you use a cleaner deisgned for switches?

Also how do you tell if the brushes need replacing and can you access them to do that?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2004 07:20 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every spray (without oil) for switches is right to clean the motor inside, but you have to avoid to spray the brushes too!
Don't worry for the brushes. It's very rare the brushes need a replacing.

[ August 06, 2004, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Ugo Grassi ]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 06, 2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a look at Tony's machine a while back and the motor noise was caused by the motor pulley being displaced too far back so that the belt was not running square. This was putting too much strain on the motor which was therefore making an unpleasant whining noise.
I had to remove the motor as I was fitting a 2 blade shutter for Tony, so had to adjust the motor and belt tension on refitting. This totally cured the noise. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.. I hope your post stops Tony before he disassembles the motor... [Smile]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev did a superb job and yes for a short while it did but it is back. Have hanged the belt and also did the same as kev i.e. let the motor and belt find the spot but is still there. Will try Ugo's theory....

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 07, 2004 05:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I'm sorry to hear that it's come back. I think that Ugo's theory of a good internal clean is spot on. I have stripped thse motors down several times and what you normally find id that the armature contacts have a lot of carbon between them. Cleaning will help prolong the life. If the armature contacts are very scored I put the armature in a drill and then place a piece of very fine abrasive paper against the contacts (as it revolves) to polish them up and remove the scores etc.
It interesting to note that new motors have a slight high pitch whine to them untill the brushes have bedded in so you might get a slightly different noise after a good clean up but it should lessen again as the motor gets used.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC