8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Thermofilm Supplies.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thermofilm Supplies.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2004 06:37 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been trying to get hold of some more Thermofilm (my ten bottles bought three or four years ago has finally run out) and was disappointed to discover that my last known source (a supplier previously recommended here on the forum) has also run out and can't supply any more.

I know it's discontinued, but does anyone have any ideas where else to try for old stock?

I've tried everything else, but nothing is as good, especially at lubricating prints.

I've had a bit of trouble treating new prints (from a quality dealer also well known to many of us). Super prints, but I can't find a really safe cleaning fluid to use on them; only Thermofilm will do!!!

Anyone any ideas; or a spare bottle to sell (I know they're like gold dust)!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 10, 2004 07:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
My fav used to be 2.22 and again there are no supplies left. Classic sell Cresclean which does do a good job. I find it best to apply while projecting as it seems to evaporate the solvent but leave a good coating of wax on the film. Light scratches will virtually dissapear. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2004 10:53 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob

If only we could get the formula.......

Has anyone in the uk tried out film guard or film renew? Can you buyit in the UK? If not is anyone interested in sharing the cost of a small barrel?

Tony

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony
I have the formula for film cleaning / waxing that we used to use when I had the film Laboratory.
Trouble is that one of the chemicials that is used in manufacture in now banned and no longer avaiable (CFC's)not ozone freindly, that's why if you stand outside our old Rayners Lane shop on a clear night you can see outer space !! [Roll Eyes]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 10, 2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you can find a suitable alternative for that solvent Ian and get some made up?????
We could do with a cleaner as good as thermo film that leaves a nice thin film of grease etc behind.
Best Mark.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, 2.22 was great stuff, especially at making scratches less visable.

I use cresclean too and like it, but haven't been using it long term like Thermofilm, which I have the most confidence in (I believe even 2.22 was know to have some long term detrimental affects if over-applied).

I know that another cleaner that most of us are aware of is not too friendly toward acetate stock.

Tony, I believe Film Guard and Film Renew both have a good reputation (with acetate stock as well [Confused] ) and it's a shame it's not readily available to try in Blighty.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 11, 2004 05:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably LGP - have now finally said they have no more stock? I ask because I lost count of the number of times that they were selling 'the last few cans' at a convention - and then a few more miraculously appeared at the next one! If they don't have it, it's extremely unlikely that any other dealers have old stock. I still have a couple of cans but I wish I'd bought more while I could!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 11, 2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how about knocking something out Ian or giving us the info so we can do it.
Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 11, 2004 08:35 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one has mentioned the one that Derann now sells. Can anyone offer an opinion on this?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 12, 2004 04:04 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes don`t use it on acetate if you can help it as it can cause curl and warping, edges pulling in a bit etc. Doesn`t really free up actetate anyway to run better.
Fine on polyster, all evapourates off.
All in all not bad for modern poly stock as a cleaner.
best Mark.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2004 03:29 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to make you all feel a little better, I have enough stock of Thermofilm to keep me going for about 10 years.

I did buy enough of the stuff when Larry was selling the "last few cans".

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2004 11:29 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad News John... It goes off after 2 years. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 16, 2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have heard that to be the case as well. Wonder what goes off? [Frown]

Kev

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2004 01:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn it! And Larry had already had it in store for four years!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC