8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Two Fosters?whats going on?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two Fosters?whats going on?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 18, 2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of months ago you may remember i had a moan at the inconsitancies in 2nd hand prices and went on to tell about my trip to Tavistock not far from me and met up with a bloke who told me that "Paul Foster had visited him and took a mega's worth of dilms for a givaway price. [Eek!]
Well, i spoke to THE P Foster sat am and an interesting development came about, It was NOT The PF as he explained he's never been anywhere near Tavistock, and to add a spooky twist and in a nutshell, it seems that someone out there makes up a list extremly similar to THE PF but adds 20-£30 more per feature, when "he" gets gets an enquiry he then pnones THE PF to see if he has that title in stock therefore making a little bit for himself,(surely there are easier ways of making dosh [Confused] )So, is there a collector useing THE paul Fosters name? if so it aint cricket mate, seems a weird thing to do, any one shed any light on this one, and by the way, i am resigned that the price of films are according to supply and demand, (oh well, "bugger it" [Big Grin] ) [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2004 04:53 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a very strange story Tom, anyone who wants to buy off paul should visit his web site at... http://www.fosterfilms.co.uk/index.html

His telephone No. is 01785 712084
and save £30 [Wink]

P.S Paul has just updated his web page.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 19, 2004 05:45 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I think that's an incredible story. Whats the real PF doing about it?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 19, 2004 12:10 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unknown Kev, I did speak to Paul and was amazed when he told me he'd never been near Tavistock. I am going to see this Bloke at Tavistock as he is going to get my Elf NTI going again for me and ask i'll him where this PF said he came from. I do have to eat humble pie on this one as at the time when i found out how much dosh this bloke gave for his 16mm films i was quite angry at what i belived was a p*** take. Anyway it was Paul himself who mentioned the other buisness of someone doing a similar list to the genuine and adding onto the price. Unreal what goes on isnt it> [Confused]

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2004 12:38 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mad story. What I don't understand is this...a bloke took a lot of films for a small price. Not good I agree, but the bloke selling could have always said no, couldn't he? I'm sure he wasn't forced to sell them at that price. Paul Foster Films is a great outlet for films...speedy service every time. This other Paul Foster has a fair bit to live up to!

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2004 01:34 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from this strange story,prices the dealers charge do seem to have increased rather,eg 400ft films now often £15-£20 when a short time ago most were around £10-£12
Also, I bought an Elmo st1200d with F-1 lens for £299 18 months ago,now the same dealer has that model with the much cheaper F1-3 lens at £400.
Im not moaning about this,simply passing comment.In a way it sujjests the hobby is healthy,supply and demand and all that!

David

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2004 12:26 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real Paul Foster in Penkridge is a straight no-nonsense dealer.I'm not his best customer by far but dealings I've had with him are faultless.
Noidea who the Tavistock geezer is.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 21, 2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that is often discussed and it goes back to the old supply and demand arguement. unfortunatly if there are people willing to pay stupid money for films and equipment then the prices will remain high, on the other hand check all dealers before you buy. As an example, i got hold of a copy of the Kama Sutra rides again, Bob Godfry Cartoon. Eventualy, a 2nd hand copy came up for £16.99 and i snaped it up, Then a week later,just to get up my nose,another dealer had the same,in A cond for just £10. Also, i have been looking out for a Deputy Dawg cartoon, quite rare these days and then Two came along on the same list, £11.99 each, so why on earth did i spend £16.99 on the Kama Sutra? [Confused] Because i didnt think another one would come up again for months or years, if i stuck to my principles i would never pay £16.99 for a 2nd hand cartoon but the collecting of film kicked in and the "want" for that film. Its the same with good equipment, as time goes by quality machines in good nick will be harder to come by but there will always be someone who will pay the price.
SO WHO OUT THERE WOULD PAY WHAT FOR A FIRST RATE ST1200HD.Answers please and be honest,
I personally think £400 would be my limit giving the age of these no matter how good the condition. [Wink]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2004 12:22 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, from a dealer maybe £400 but on ebay I bought both of mine for under £300.

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 21, 2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are out are and quite resonable, i guess it is fair to say the dealers have to pay to get them checked out, then advertise them with a warranty, altough i always thing the 3 months offered is a little feeble, it should be 6 months.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 21, 2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Duncan saying to me once that we tend to forget that the dealers also have to pay the 17.5% vat which kicks the price up.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2004 06:42 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom- I agree with you that it's very hard on the collector who has just paid top dollar for a rare super 8 film, and then finds it cheaper later on down the road. However, I have come to the place where I can accept this, as its part of the super 8 collecting hobby. In fact, many "collecting" hobbiests run into the same type of thing. It's part of the challenge!! [Smile]

We're still not as bad as those Beeny-Baby collectors though, are we [Razz] Now THAT'S CRAZY!

(Did you all have that phenominon over there in the U.K.?)

Nick.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 22, 2004 11:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did, that does put it into perspective! I always say i will give up film because of the price but as i said it is in my ones, along comes a list and there is always a film i want and end up getting it, its a must do [Wink]
guess i'll always keep going for as long as i can. Ive reached 300 films now im on the way to the 400 [Big Grin]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

But if you pay them with holding folding you might persuade them not to tell the VAT man...oops.... [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC