8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's it like being a film dealer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's it like being a film dealer?
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2004 11:28 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what it's like to work at Derann or say if you had your own venture like Paul Foster. We might think it would be great, but imagine having to watch all those films (or a bit of each film) list them then make all the parcels after the list has come out. 8 mm would defin. cease to be a hobby and I don't think it would be that much fun! What do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a lot cheaper!!!!

Having popped in to see the boys at Derann only last week I can only say what a treat it was to see the pros in action. Never seen a workforce with such a passion for their work. Well done boys!

But then there are those lonely outposts such as Heston where a solitary figure can be seen shuffling around a temp controlled shed wearing a fetching green cardy to match the sporty carpet slippers...you know who you are!

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 20, 2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, think of the dosh at the end, [Big Grin] , I doubt they watch all the films as that would be an all year round,all day job, and judging by some of poorer films we all get from time to time,( oops) id say the boys will tell you it is impossible to do that, as some one said yesterday, how long would it take you to watch all your own films back to back, then take a look at just one Paul Foster,Derann or perrys list and imagine trying to get through that lot. [Eek!] I suspect the novalty would wear thin very quickly.

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2004 01:00 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony
Did you pick up my pipe by mistake when you were last over only I think I have yours here. [Big Grin]
I've done the big premises thing, no money in it anymore, for dealers to survive in this shrinking market small is beautiful.
Must go now Jackie's runninig my bath and it's nearly my bedtime.
Jackie where's my slippers !!!!
Regards
Grandad Ian

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, if yours is the Rolex solid gold one then yes I do have it [Big Grin]

As for the premises thing- nice move! To go from a brick built one to a wooden one was a real smart move- your just one match away from an insurance claim [Wink]

As for Thermofilm- I wish you had not been joking as I poured away my last can on your advice [Frown]

Tony

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC