8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Film Reviews Anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Film Reviews Anyone?
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if we could have that here in our own forum just for 8mm. We already have general, equipment, and films for sale areas. Why not a film review?

Thinking we could pick titles from our collections, and write our own reviews for all to see. Even if the movie is out of print or no longer available, the reviews would be interesting!

Any takers? Brad, could you set that up for us? Maybe just a trial basis see how it goes?

CG

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 03, 2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a great idea Chip. If Brad could set up a separate
menu button for film reviews I would be glad to contribute reviews from my collection. I would suggest that we all stick to the Derann and BFCC grading sytem for print and sound quality e.g. Print B, Sound A/B etc. It's worth noting that the BFCC web site has a Super 8 review section which covers a lot of the more recent releases, but is far from complete. So maybe user reviews could be posted there as well.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul your ideas are good. I would like to point out here the idea is we must really write our own reviews. Do not copy someone else's reviews from other publications. However, for expanded reviews, we could mention other printed materials. The reader (in this forum) would then search out the other reviews, etc.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 07, 2004 04:36 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of this is already done in Steve Osborne's REEL-IMAGE - Shorty

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct Shorty. But his printed magazine is not on the internet to the best of my knowledge.

Chip

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 07, 2004 06:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a brilliant idea. How about Brad adding another section to the site for us to add our reviews?

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 08, 2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very good idea, i agree with sticking to the Derann/FFTC scoring however would it also be good to add one more catergory and that would be an A_D rating for the actual qaulity of the film print. As i understand it you can have an A rated print but the actual qulity of the picture, colour and Sharpness is often crap. I have been caught many times! [Confused] [Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 08, 2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I have always assumed when Keith Wilton or John Clancy rate picture quality A, it means very good print quality, and AA means really excellent print quality, that is both sharpness and color.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 02, 2004 03:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to the wonderful Super Daryl, the glitch in the forum program has been tracked down and now this forum is available.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 07:45 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Tom? I don't think we'd grade something in the 'A' class and it would have crap print quality. There are always variations between prints but an 'A' should always be pretty good regardless.

The top mark is A* and this is rarely awarded. When Super 8 was at its height (in terms of print quality) there were a whole batch that warranted the A* rating but it is not often seen any longer. There have been exceptional prints that have just squeezed into this bracket but nothing that can really compare with the likes of the Buck Labs prints of Fall of the Roman Empire, El Cid, Predator, Commando and a few others. A/A* is quite often seen in more recent years - for example, the two 'Scope trailers from the Lord of the Rings sequels.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea Chip, i would love to be able to read an evaluation of a print before i bought one, and i am sure i could contribute as well.

John. Are you saying that the scope trailers are 1000% better than the 400ft extract.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2004 06:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw the 400ft extract once and the sound was 93 seconds out of sync' so it was difficult to concentrate too hard on the print quality. The trailers however look very good. This is sometimes down to the quick-cut nature of modern trailers which can successfully hide defects but certainly I was most impressed by them both.

I didn't care for "Lord of the Rings" but the 'Scope trailers to the sequels are highly recommended.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 03, 2004 10:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film Review Section of this forum is starting to turn into a second technical forum. Lets keep it exclusively for film reviews, and confine technical discussions to the main forum.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2004 12:08 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you see there are two sides to your comment. You are correct, but then again if we list scope or flat, mono or stereo, why not cue marks for changeovers. Alittle tech stuff related to the reviews doesn't hurt. I'd even go as far as to write recommendations for big reel make up from 400 or 600 footers to 1200 footers and YES all in the reviews!

cg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC