8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A POLYESTER TRICK WITH SUCESS!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A POLYESTER TRICK WITH SUCESS!
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Below is a letter I sent to another friend and thought I should share it here.....

Been doing stuff with super 8. I trouble shooted a problem with autoload and you might want to consider it.

Step 1. Get rid of the Neumade Fiesta leader. You could use it as other things, but NOT autoload.

Step 2: Purchase odd ball reels (cheap cost) of digests make sure they are mylar or polyester and have both track 1 and 2 applied. Cut them up in 5 foot lengths and splice to the heads of each reel about 1 foot before the #11 in the countdown.

I believe the plastic material in the Neumade leader conducts static electricity. During the autoload process, it binds to the inside parts of the machine, causing film jams. That's not a good thing under the tremendous force of autoload. You have always said manual thread is better and of course I agree. But with super 8, we are stuck with auto pilot. And it DOES work alot better with polyester film strips.

The problem with the extra stuff leader that comes with the prints is that to many times it is not the same length. When you trim that off (can be used as tails later) and add the 5 foot strips of polyester odd ball reel, you know exactly how much leader for autoload you have.

The 5 foot strip allows enough to go through the machine, and come out and droop down 1 and 1/2 foot. At that point you stop and attach to the take up reel. Then there is alittle extra before the countdown to run down. And if you use the grease pencil and mark number # 8 (on the soundtrack side) you'll stop the run down when the white line is in the top loop.

I am now 1/2 done with my entire collection. It's a massive time consuming job changing all these leaders. That's about 200 big reels, plus or minus a few features that are more than 2 reels each. I tried this experiment recently on my print of the Abyss right before I screened it. And what a world of difference. The ONLY glitches during the complete show was one or two little hairs in the gate, plus some focus adjustments. In all the years that I've been running super 8, this show ran the best.

I strongly advise you consider this option. It DOES make a difference.

Chip G

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 19, 2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fiesta leader is not stiff enough to use on an autoload with constant success. I would certainly agree with you there. However remember that it's only the first foot (or maybe two depending on your projector model) that matters to the autoload mechanism. Because of that, there is no need to cut any of the original head leaders off Just add 1-2 feet of quality polyester stock to the very beginning of the head leader for the autoload mechanism and you are fine.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with Brad but as for me I am thinking of my eventual Tower set up, and they will require the extra footage to reach the bottom take up shaft. Better to prepare now and not have to do this again later. 200+ reels adding leader [Eek!]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC