8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Protect a print.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Protect a print.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 21, 2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a product availible some time ago. I myself have always removed this particular leader off second hand films i purcahsed. A green coloured leader that claimed to clean the film path and heads. I always thought the projection man,(or woman)should do that befpre and after every film show, and in between if needed. However my question is what do you think of this product, did you consider it a litte too corse for the heads. I would have imagined Eumig heads in particular would have been a little vulnerable if this was overy used.

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 21, 2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems generally considered unwise to use it regularly, but I wish I had more than the 3-4 feet I've got somewhere. It's so hard to clean out the film path on some Eumigs that I expect it's better to use a length of Protect-A-Print once a year or so, rather than doing nothing and hoping for the best.
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once a year???

Yikes! I usually clean my projector's film path after every reel... (or at worst, after every feature)..

The best thing is to use something like Ecco 1500 (or just denatured alcohol) ...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 21, 2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what Adrian's saying because some Eumigs the heads are not accssesable for cleaning. Thats where the Elmo's some into there own, one of the easiest machines around to keep clean through the entire film path.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 21, 2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
Yes the Eumig sound heads on the 700 and 800 series projectors are almost impossible to clean properly without having to dissassemble the sound head. However, on the 900 series, Eumig designed the sound head assembly so that the pressure pad assembly can be dropped out , giving total access to the magnetic heads. So the Eumig 900's are no harder to keep clean than the Elmo's.
I totally agree with Steven about cleaning the film path after every reel( or at least after every feature). If you want to keep your films scratch free and dust free, then this little chore is essential.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, and All...I started a thread on protect-a-print leader awhile back; I guess it was on the old forum that was lost. The users agreed it was good stuff...nothing negative as I remember.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 26, 2004 05:59 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe whats your film status at the moment then???
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 26, 2004 04:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the thread from before Joe and I seem to remember saying that I thought this leader was too course and could promote head wear on machines using softer head materials such as some of the Eumigs. I would steer clear of it especially with the lack of spares for most machines.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC