8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Speaker problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Speaker problem
Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2004 05:57 AM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Guys
Just wondered if Kev or Ugo may be able to answer a query for me
When I plug in my external spealers to my GS, should the built in speakers then be disabled? Just wondered as I get sound through my extranal and built in speakera at the same time.
Also, would a 1.3 lens be better for a shorter projecting distance than a 1.1?

Thanks for any help
Col [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2004 09:48 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just wondered as I get sound through my extranal and built in speakera at the same time.

No, the sockets are able to disconnect the internal speckers when you plug in the external speckers. To obtain that you like you would have to modify the sockets.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 05:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, The speaker sockets in the GS have switches built in whcich mute the internal speakers when a plug is inserted. Now if the sockets have become damaged in the past they may have been replaced with unswitched ones. Its not a very good idea to leave the internal speakers operational with external speakers connected as the load on the amp will possibly become too low and damage the sound output IC. Get it sorted asap.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev Ugo
Thanks for your replies

Kev, Would it serve the purpose if I just disconected the internal speakers? I am quietly confident that I could do that without harming my beauty.
If that would solve my problem and put the amp out of risk, then I will go ahead and do that as I always plan to use my externals anyway

Cheers
Col

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 04:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Colin,
I have had the internal speakers on one of my GS1200's disconnected for a couple of years. I just got fed up with the snap, crackle, and popping of the machine every time I operated any of the switches. Like you I run the sound thru an external amp and 12 band stereo equalizer. I have had no problems, and it is a relief to get rid of all those electrical noises thru the internal speakers. Just pull off the back cover, disconnect the speaker connector from the board, and tape it to the cover so that it wont flop around and short something out.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 31, 2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, Paul's spot on. Just remove the back cover and remove the plug from the main board. "Voila" no more internal speakers.
I must say though that it would be interesting to know why your internals are not getting disconnected?

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2004 06:05 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. I myself though, am not using an external amp (although I could be pushed) so would my first suggestion (just to disconect the wires to the internal speakers) still work and ease my problem?
Col

Just seen your reply Kev, we must have both been typing at the same time. I guess that has sorted it for me . Thanks for your help

I notice that you are now a Master Jedi Film Handler
But you don't look a bit like Yoda [Big Grin]
Cheers
Col

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 31, 2004 06:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, all I can say is that thank god for that! [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC