8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Which projector is best for my needs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which projector is best for my needs?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2004 12:49 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only watch film, I don't re-record sound or edit ot anything "fancy-shmancy". Which projector would be the best without having to spend an arm and a leg? I don't need alot of "bells and whistles" just a good reliable unit to show my family and friends a film from time to time.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad, I like the Elmo ST-800 or ST-1200 optical/magnetic projectors. Well made and fairly easy to maintain. The ST-800 uses a 100 watt bulb and has an 800'reel capacity. The ST-1200 uses a 150 watt bulb and has a 1200' reel capacity. You can buy 1200' size reels with a smaller hub that will hold 1600' of film. Both have internal speakers and an auxilary line out for external amplification. The prices vary on eBay. If you keep watch you can find these on eBay from $150.00 to around $600.00. I bought an ST-800 for $180.00. Usually the belts need to be replaced when you receive them. [Smile]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

ST1200 HD Mag/Opt for me or Sankyo 800 Stereo

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 04:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,
I like Eumigs, they are very well engineered machines, very solidly built, and extremely kind to film. Look for the 802, 810, or 820 Sonomatic. There are lots of them on eBay- but make sure the seller has tested the sound system before you buy. Avoid any of the dual guage Eumigs, that is those machines which will play both standard 8 ( not to be confused with single 8, which is the same as super 8 at the projection stage) and super 8 film. These particular projectors have compromises in their claw design, which can damage super 8 film. Also, in the more recent 900 series machines, avoid any of the co-axial reel designs (900 thru 930), these are a pain in the neck because of the coax arrangement and the sprocketless feed. Anything above 930 is ok, because Eumig saw the light and went back to a conventional 2 sprocket design. The best projector Eumig ever made is the magnificent 938 or 940. These are very hard to find, but if you can get one, it will give you the best stereo sound quality that you have ever heard on super 8.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2004 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another range of projectors, which are seriously under rated [hence relatively cheap] are the Sankyos. The 700, 702 and 800 are all good, have good optics, are well made and very kind to film. My preference is for the 800 which has the benefit of Stereo Sound, 800ft reel capacity, 150w lamp and the option of Sankyos excellant F1:1.0 Hi-Pro Zoom lens.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I have to agree with Mike, if you want to keep costs down the Sankyo range would do you a treat, or go for a Eumig.
I personally had a Chinon some years ago, i found it very adequate and very reliable, sorry can't remember the model no.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 31, 2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, a good ST1200HD is what you want. Vary straight forward with no bells and whistles. For stereo then I would agree with Mike and say that you should go for a Sankyo 800 as they are very good machines especially if you can get one with an f1.0 lens but if you want the 1200 ft spools then it has to be the ST with an f1.1 or 1.0.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 01, 2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote for a playback only machine would be an Elmo ST1200. You can playback stereo on it (you just can't record stereo) and you've got the 1600' capacities. Also if you wanted to do the Marc 300/350 arc conversion, it's pretty effortless...and you can also go the 2 bladed shutter route without much pain.

Kevin also touched on perhaps the most important possibility of the ST1200...that magnificent f1.0 lens! Absolutely buy one if you ever see it come up. It REALLY makes a huge difference in the picture quality.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 02:27 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Can you give me a little more detail about the MARC conversion?

--------------------
Tony

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 02, 2004 03:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Broadsky and Treadway originally published the paper on how to do it with a GS1200 back in the late 70s or early 80s. A friend and I took that basic idea and adapted it to work in a Eumig S926, and then later in an Elmo ST600, and ST1200. I still have that ST600 and whenever I get the time I can take pictures of it showing how it was mounted.

If I don't post the pics within a month, it means I forgot and just bump this thread back up reminding me.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 03, 2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know how to do the Marc 300/350 conversion also. [Confused]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC