8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chicken Run

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chicken Run
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2004 11:06 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought it best to start a fresh post but this film was mentioned in the other (war and peace) thread.

Does anyone have a copy of this film? I picked one up from the BFCC for a small sum because it has stripe problems and the main stripe has been removed. No matter I thought, synch it to a dvd.

That works a treat but I have to say the print is not one of the best I have seen and seems to have a colour cast (yellow/green) that affects all colours and is quite dark with noticeable grain.

Is this just a duff copy or are they all like this?

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 01, 2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a few of these prints with poor stripe on deranns list a while ago, includng that one, shame about the colours, is it fuji polyester.
Its a shame there`s such a problem with the stipe with that as cracking stock if processed and graded right.
Just out of interest can you cope with telling us how much it cost.
Best Mark.
PS any thoughts on the mummys shroud at all.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 01, 2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is nobody still offering re-striping services these days?

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they did offer restriping awhile ago. But ummmmmmm, uh......err........now they're chicken.

Sorry guys but I had to write something almost at 100 messages!

LOL

cg

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 02:26 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Derann put me on to a company that can re-stripe at a cost of around $175. As they had problems the first time with this (so thereis no guarantee it will stick this time!) and that adding the main stripe would only give mono sound (since the balance stripe seems not to be capable of holding a recording) it does not seem worth it given the picture quality is not top notch. I would have thought that Derann would have re-striped it themselves if they thought they could turn a buck or two.

--------------------
Tony

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 03:59 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fuji is notoriously bad for taking a stripe thats why they use fuji acetate or kodak for the new super 8 releases from over east aways.
It used to be great so maybe a certain chemical or compoud etc has been banned or not available to share from fuji.
They did say they were stopping the fuji sound( camera) because of stripe probs, though its more than likely due to low sales.
They still seem to keep on with the silent camera film, though its about as much as 16mm all in so unlikely to last too long.Cracking stuff though.
Best Mark.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a brief update. I changed the capacitor in my GS as per mr Elmo's instructions and recorded the DVD sound onto the remaining balance stripe.

Before I changed the capacitor I could not get any real sound on the stripe but I was stunned by the results I have obtained after doing this simple task. It is amazing. OK not stereo but I now have a film that I can enjoy with or without synch pulse.

Despite the lack of main stripe and using the somewhat fickle 1.0 lens the picture is sharp and looks a lot nicer when projecting onto a white screen(full screen)rather than the cream wall I was initially viewing it on!

My advice....change that capacitor...it is easy to do and the difference is just stunning

thanks Kev. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 06, 2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Tony.

Mark. As far as I know Fuji have never had problems with the single 8 stripe over all the years they were selling it. They stopped selling it just like Kodak did because of demand. Video is easier than sound film for the general public which is why the home movie industry died.
I used to shoot all my home produced films on single 8 and never ever had a problem with Fuji stripe falling off etc.
The German labs used the Kodak stock because it came to them pre striped by Kodak and it wasnt untill Kodak stopped producing that the labs had to find another way of doing the job.
The german labs were not set up to cope with striping onto poly stocks so eventually they were, I believe getting it done in Italy where they had the know how to cope with poly stocks.
It wasnt a Fuji v Kodak problem it was poly as a whole. That has now been sorted an all is OK.
Derann had just as much trouble with their stripe on Agfa poly stock but had perfected it towards the end of using the agfa stock. Now they are using Kodak stock with equally good results.
The means of sticking stripe to poly or acetate is very different. On poly its has to be glued on and with acetate it welds itself to the film.
Correct me anyone if I have got any details wrong.

Mark, What is it with you and Poly?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

Good to hear that you have had success with Chicken Run. Having set myself up with a DVD player and Pedros little black box I am now conducting my first, tentative experiments in synching up my GS to the DVD. Early signs have been good but I haven't yet had the courage to press the red record button [Roll Eyes] , that will come soon I hope.

I was particularly inspired by John Clancys set up and might consider simply running my super 8 features in synch with the DVD, but then it would seem silly not to re-record a superior soundtrack on to the film while I'm at it.

Watch this space ... [Wink]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike. go for it! press the button. [Wink]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC