8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Scope lens focusing problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scope lens focusing problem
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 06:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

One of my scope lenses (the better one, *sigh*...) has recently become difficult to adjust. The focusing barrel requires some serious grip to rotate (I need to use both hands if I don't want to end up with vertical scope projection!) and sharp focus isn't easy.
Anybody ever encountered this kind of situation? Any suggestion to fix it?

Thanks.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two points:

First, the obvious one, is there a separate locking ring on the lens? I was caught out by this once. The focusing ring on one 'scope lens became very stiff - until I realized that half of it was a locking ring [Embarrassed]

Next, if it is not the locking ring, it may be that the lubricant (grease) has dried and hardened. Drop a little white spirit or paraffin into the thread and see what happens. If it is gritty, you may have to take it apart to clean it [Frown] .

What lens type is it?

--------------------
Tim

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 12:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim, thanks for answering.

No, there's no locking ring on the lens. Gave it a good look when it started to get stiff.

White spirit, heh? Sounds a bit dangerous but I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

The lens is a Chretien/Hypergonar (from the people who invented CinemaScope) and is far more superior to the other lens I have (Kowa 16D).

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean Marc,
is the focus worst than in the past? I suppose there is a little bit of grease vapored inside. It's possible the lub. inside is vapored, soiling the lens.
The only way - but very dangerous - is to open the objective.

ps. your signature is very funny! anyway it's the best to sweeten the italian coffe. Do you think it could be dangerous for my health?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 01:43 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo,
Nope, the lens is crystal clear, there seems to be nothing in there . Focus is just difficult to achieve because the barrel is a bit stiff.

Hope I won't have to open it... [Frown]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 05, 2004 07:07 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so far, so good.
The white spirit seems to work. The barrel is easier to turn but we're not there yet. I'll let it rest for another 24 hours.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 07, 2004 04:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem solved! [Big Grin]
The lens is good as new (it makes an interesting "squish" sound now, but I guess it'll pass when the remaining white spirit is fully evaporated).

Thanks Tim and Ugo.

JMT

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC