8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » an unknow version of GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: an unknow version of GS1200
Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2004 01:29 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gs on ebay...click here

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2004 02:05 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo it looks to me that whoever took the digital picture has got a problem with his camera, as the image looks squeezed like 8mm scope prints, thus giving a distorted look to the projector.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 04, 2004 02:35 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I'm not sure this is what Ugo was meaning. Digital images are often distorted when not properly formated to be posted on the net. If you scroll down the auction page, you'll see the same photo posted correctly.

Now, why is it set to 20 fps ? For transfer of home movies?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 04, 2004 05:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
20FPS with a 3 bladed shutter yields 60 images per second. Video shoots at 30FPS (or if you want to get technical 60 "fields" per second). The result is a flicker free image.

To transfer 24FPS to video you would have to have a 5 bladed shutter. 24x5=120 which is divisible by 30 meaning again, no flicker.

Of course now that we have 24P videocameras, a film could be transferred at 24FPS with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 blades on the shutter and there would not be a flicker. [Big Grin]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 04, 2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are a couple of problems with the ad. The first being that this is a "P" model and will not be able to record any sound as is stated! Also Elmo made a range of projectors called the TRV series that were all for Telecine. I have seen many ST180's of this line but never a GS. It looks like this may have been modded somewhere along the life of the unit. But I could be wrong, hey I didn't even discover the PC COM GS until 6 months ago!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 04, 2004 08:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: thanks for explaining.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo I see what you mean, I must admit on first looking at the advert I didn't scroll all the way down. Yes this GS is a strange beast, if it was meant for telecine conversions, shouldn't it be 25 fps for PAL (Europe) format transfer, as this is the rate PAL runs at. I'm stumpped why it should be proudly displaying 20 fps telecine, anyone else seen a unit like this before (or marked like it, anyway!).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC