8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » universal 8 400' horror films list

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: universal 8 400' horror films list
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 08:10 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anybody here know the list of films universal 8 put out of the horror series? thanks

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 05, 2004 09:43 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

Just to get started:

4001-The Incredible Shrinking Man
4002-The Invisible Man
4003-Frankenstein
4004-The Bride of Frankenstein
4005-The Wolfman
4006-Dracula
4009-Psycho
4015-The Mummy's Ghost
4201-Frenzy
4202-The Birds
4228-The Car
4301-Creature From The Black Lagoon (3D)
4302-It Came From Outer Space (3D)
This Island Earth
SSSSSSSS
Son Of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy
The Mummy
Dr. Cyclops
The Raven

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Philippe Cuypers
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 09:54 AM      Profile for Philippe Cuypers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to ask that a while back , but nobody did reply to me, but I will try to give you what I think theirs out there ok! well here it goes( again its probably not a perfect list but its what I think theirs out theirs ok!
1-frankenstein
2-bride of frankenstein
3-dracula
4-wolfman
5-frankenstein meets the wolfman
6-the mummy
7-the mummy tomb
8-the mummy ghost
9-the raven
10-It came from outer spacae (in 3 D)
11-the creature from the black lagoon (in 3 D)
12-dr. cyclops
13-the mad migician ( in 3 D )(a columbia
14- abbott & Costello meet frankenstein
15- abbott & Costello meet dr. jekyl
16- son of frankenstein
mote: theirs might be some others abbott & Costello films out there , but I cannot think of their names ok??
I had most of them , but I sold them a while back , for financial reason , now I am trying to get them back again , their fun to watch, just like the castle films version (200ft reel in boxe) . And of course whe always have the dvd know, which years ago ehe didnt, but its not the same ! hope this will help, I tried to give you the most of them, but like i saild , theirs some more I am sure, maybe one day, somebdy will do a book , like now they did the castle films .

--------------------
Philippe Cuypers

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 05, 2004 10:03 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Philippe,

You're correct about "The Mummy's Tomb", but I don't believe "A&C meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" was released in a 400' version.

We can also add:

Phantom Of The Opera
4244- Jaws 2

Doug

--------------------

Philippe Cuypers
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Philippe Cuypers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh Yes ! but its a very hard one, I only seen it twice, since Ive been collecting ! , Iam glad , you are helping out too, maybe whe could make a little book to right!!!! , nice to hear from you!

--------------------
Philippe Cuypers

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 05, 2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other informations and lists if you follow the links on this thread of the forum.

I have the Phantom of the Opera (1943 - Claude Rains) 400ft and the print is superb. Not Technicolor but close.

Also, we could add:
- Duel
- Revenge of the creature (not sure if released as 400ft )
- The creature walks among us (ditto)
- Family Plot (not quite horror though but good to own if you have "Frenzy" and "The Birds")

Anybody got an old U8 or Red Fox catalogue? That would help.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is indeed an abbott and costello meet Dr. Jekyl....400 ft, along with a abbott and costello meet the MUMMY, 400 as well.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all your replys the list of castle films, from the capital.net site cannot be complete it only mentions frankenstien meets the wolfman and not the original [Frown]

--------------------
jim schrader

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Tarantula [Eek!]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 05, 2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for my reckless, irresponsible, undependable, hasty posting regarding the existence of a 400' version of "A&C Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde". I am truly crestfallen. On the other hand, I would like to add that U-8's editing of "A&C Meet The Mummy" sucks.
Thank you.

Doug

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 09:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 400' version of "A&C Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". I know, because I own it. It also has the longest running time of all the A&C 400'ers (18:18). The only A&C's that were NOT made available in 400' versions are the extracts from "Pardon My Sarong" and "Ride em Cowboy". I never understood why being that "Keystone Kops" and "In Society" were combo titles meshing 2x200'ers together. I might add that "Meet Frankenstein" stinks. The scene selection is atrocious and the print quality is abysmal. I own two prints and they're identical. Stick with the 200' version, it's a much better digest.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 06, 2004 09:29 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Absolutely right. "Pardon My Sarong" could've been combined with "Take Bus, Pay Later", and "Ride Em' Cowboy" matched up with "No Indians, Please". How is the edit job on "Jekyll & Hyde"?
Sorry, Jim, for getting off topic.

Doug

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok here is another ? which one of these would you avoid i know the frankenstein meets the wolfman is badly done, and son of frankenstein is ok what others should one avoid, mummy, invisible man, original frankenstein?? thanks

--------------------
jim schrader

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 08, 2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have missed it on a previous posting but how about Psycho. (although officialy i believe it was classed as a black comedy)

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2004 01:49 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Frankenstein" and "Dracula" are fine. I've never seen "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman" in the 400' version, but I've heard it differs from the 200' extract. Most of the A&C 400'ers are only fair. It seems the editors were under pressure from U-8's sales/marketing director (a woman whom I've read was alot like Joanne Worley from "Laugh-In" - really nutsy) to just grind stuff out within a very short window of time and not be too overly concerned with content or even coherent story-lines. It shows, too. Most of Universal's 400'ers stink as opposed to the 200'ers from the Castle regime. And get this.....U-8 resorted to using 16mm prints as opposed to the 35mm originals that Castle used. Again, it's all too obvious. Most of what U-8 cranked out was pure crud. All my A&C 400'ers look like lousy dupe prints, but the Castle 200'ers are simply gorgeous. I won't even go into U-8's color stuff "blechhhh" all tomato-red prints today - I couldn't give them away they're so awful. When Castle Films was usurped by new management in 1977 and became Universal-8, all of the care ethic that Castle's team had embraced went down the toilet. U-8 executives blamed video for its demise... ("Hogwash"!)... It was they're lack of concern for creating a quality product that was the cause of their downfall. From its inception, Universal-8 was a 'castle' crumbling from within its own walls (no pun intended). How else do you explain outfits like Derann still thriving? Because Derek and his people always cared (and his people still do) about the quality of their products. Which is why Derann will be around for a long, long time.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance DERANN would ever purchase the rights from Universal to reprint their "evergreen" titles?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC