8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackpool Film Convention this weekend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackpool Film Convention this weekend
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that it's Derann's Northern Film Collector's Convention, this Sunday, November 14th, at The Savoy Hotel, North Shore, Blackpool. Obviously, on the Saturday night is the dinner, but it's Sunday when the convention is. Should be a lot of fun, as usual, with 8 and 16 mm stalls, film shows and the big auction. Thought I'd remind you (as if you needed reminding!) that it's worth getting up early for (as I will be doing) and heading to Blackpool.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Simon

I'd love to make it up to Blackpool but it's such a long way to go from Worthing, having said that, if our American and Continental European friends can make it over to the BFCC I reckon I've got no excuse [Roll Eyes] .

Is any one else from the South Coast planning to head up to Blackpool for the Sunday? I'm wondering whether I might just give it a go. [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 04:46 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been up for years but up until recently was going to make the effort. Someone put me off though (I wonder who!!!).

However, if anyone does go and is capable of taking some reasonable digital piccies that make the day look interesting then please let me have them so we can get them up on the web site. Blackpool doesn't have much of a public airing and it is the biggest Super 8 event outside of London.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 06:31 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up early?
Would have thought an 8am set off would have got you to Blackpool for the 10am start from Doncaster on a Sunday morning.

Yes I'm going I will be leaving between 8am and 8-30 from West Yorkshire.

Not just a 8mm event.
Plenty of 16mm. etc.

Equipment, accessories, and films.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 07:46 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...And I still say, we in America should begin our own version akin to Blackpool; A Film-Con, gathering of all of us and more - Shorty

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 12:44 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

How many of our American cousins think that 140 miles is too far, us Islanders eh! [Roll Eyes]

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 01:28 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe I can guarantee you're wasting your time on that front. If someone manages to get something off the ground over there I'd try to support it so you could expect a visit from me at some point. But given the great distances I can't see how it would work and why there is really a need to bother. For most living in the States wishing to attend it would mean a plane trip. As it is a pretty simple procedure to visit the mother land nowadays (i.e good ol' Blighty!) all the hassle, expense and worry of having to set up your own event can be avoided. Blackpool is on this weekend - you'd better see if you can get a cheap flight! Would you like the telephone number for Virgin Atlantic? [Smile]

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John...can you accept slides for transferring onto the website?

Thank you to the other person who has been contemplating my "up-early" comment. I will be leaving at more like 6.30. so that I'm there with plenty of time to have breakfast, take a walk along the lovely shore road and allow for time in case of traffic/road works...unlikely, but possible. Most importantly, so that I'm inthe queue inside The Savoy Hotel too!

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 03:22 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I understand Simon, breakfast!

I'm takeing some photos on behalf of the UK Bootlace Forum, which will appear on the web site in due course.

http://www.marksilvester.builderspot.com/page/page/945387.htm

--------------------
Regards,
David

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
No its too long a treck for me too. Never mind we have the next BFCC to look forward to in May and the 50th in October. Gives me time to save up some more spending money and I'm sure Keith will be putting on a slpendid (special) event for the 50th. Mind you I think he always manages to make them special.
Hope you Northerners have a good time at the weekend, dont spend too much. [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can`t you jump on the wee beastie Kev, you would be there in 3 hours or less ( if it weren`t for speed cameras!!!!).
We`re not far ( about 120 I think) but its an up or down acroos then up or down so about 3 hours from here though pretty much on aline with it.
I once nearly went on my bike but decided I couldn`t fill the boot with far too much film etc
Also i used to take loads of bits and bobs to put on the bring and buy to cover the petrol etc.
Always came home well skint though, great event.
I still remmeber that rush you get as you go in, great fun.
Last time I went Ian and Larry were both there on a stall, must be going back a few years.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mark, I did think about the bike but you end up with a very numb bum and I dont want to be walking about like John Wayne for the rest of the day.
BTW its about 3 hrs from here to Yorkshire, I think, and the weekend is probably not going to be CBR weather if this week, so far, is anything to go by. [Frown] [Frown]

Kev.

PS. A speed camera got me tonight on the way home [Mad]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still thinking about going, sounds like a good event from all I've heard. Trouble is, what sort of an early start would I need to make to drive up from Worthing? Me thinks I'd need to start out the night before and then turn round as soon as I got there to be home in time for work on Monday [I'm not a fast driver like Kev [Smile] ].

Shall probably take Kevs leed and give my credit card a breather before next years BFCCs, looks like being a couple of good shows, especially with Mr Wilton planning on doing something a bit special for the 50th event.

If I don't make it to Blackpool it'd be nice to read a report about it on here.

Mike [Cool]

ps. Adrian, are you going? You're from down here aren't you??

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Multimap shows 293 miles from Worthing. I input your driving characteristics (VW don't want fly's on the front style) and it says 5 hours
[Frown] [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 05:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike & everyone,
I was unsure whether to contribute to this thread as I was afraid of 'overdoing' my attempts to persuade people to go! But now that you've asked... yes I'm going, from South London, but then I've been to every one since 1983! I'd say to anyone who has never been: I BEG YOU TO GO, IT'S A FANTASTIC WEEKEND!!! It has a unique, relaxed atmosphere, because of the location and the fact that so many attending make a weekend of it. Anyone staying therefore has time to chat to other collectors, in addition to checking the dealers stalls and seeing the film shows - which is difficult to manage at a one day event. It's also probably the biggest film collecting event in the world as around 400 - 450 attend. There's usually a number of collectors from Ireland and sometimes a group from Germany. You also find dealers that you never see at other events and I've known some amazing items to turn up - both 8 & 16mm and equipment - that I've never come across anywhere else. In terms of film shows, don't expect anything as ambitious and varied as BFCC presentations, but Blackpool has other attractions such as the marathon auction, which usually offers some of the best bargains you will ever come across. The Saturday night dinner is also a lot of fun, so you can have an excellent evening before the big day even starts. So in conclusion I'd say to anyone: make the effort and you won't regret it - and if you are free on the Saturday, book for the dinner. Anyone on a limited budget could book into a cheap B&B AND attend the dinner for about £40. I appreciate that some may find it too far to go every year, but every UK collector MUST experience Blackpool at least once in their life.
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hells Bells Kev is that 3 or 2 points, are you sure a car had`nt started to swerve out on you and you had to speed up to get past to avoid a crash etc, these things are possible you know!!!!!!
I got 3 points and a fine in 95 from faulty temporary lights, no amber and had to go through as the car behind was haring down on me, I wanted to go to court and make a case as had I tried to stop it would have caused an accident.But the good lady wanted me to just pay up and put it in the past. I thought 3 years to get them off would take forever but 9 years now and seems like yesterday.
Unfortnately a bit less cash to spend on films though now kev.
Are all of the down south doo`s finished for this year then.
Best Mark.
PS run anice L+H on the xenon kev, that should help.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 01:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, sorry; I haven't got a scanner that will do slides. Just hoping someone has some semi-decent digipix that I can slap up.

Incredible to hear Blackpool still has around 400 people attending. That's great news and perhaps illustrates the hobby isn't in the state I thought it was.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 10, 2004 11:49 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I've been expresing myself badly all these years - What I am suggesting is simply this; That we collectors, etc here in the US should have a film convention just like Blackpool, but here in the US - It isn't a waste really - Years back in Cherry Hill NJ, Barlowe ran a FILM COLLECTOR'S SHOWCASE that heralded rooms of collectors and dealers - I used to sell at those shows - They remain a remarkable acheivement in our hobby-business - I'd just like to see all that again, only on a larger scale - Look at the horror-con that thrives these past twelve years with CHILLER, so why not the same thought with films and accessories? - I have a feeling someday someone will want to do this because there so many of us and we'd love to meet and talk about our adventures - Pipe dream or not, I'm still strongly an advocate for this - Film people just do not meet anymore anywhere it seems in this country, at least on the eastern coast - Shorty

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 02:42 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are filmic events in America but nothing I've heard of gives Super 8 a look in. I wonder how many enthusiasts there are in the States. Possibly not as many as there are in Britain. And that is what I'm getting at. It takes about 7 hours from the East coast to get to London. It takes about 5 hours to get to the West Coast from the East Coast. If you do ever make it over while it's all still happening Joe be assured we'll do our best to make it an enjoyable trip. If it was the other way around you'd see me in America.

We had about 20 dealers at the recent BFCC if that tempts you at all.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC