8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Grease and Grey Hair!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grease and Grey Hair!
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 02:31 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick up date as I'm still plodding away with the task of getting Grease re-recorded from DVD.

Things are going very well but this is a very time consuming business. Having set myself up with a new DVD player and tv set to use as a monitor [all for less than £70!], I've been playing around with the GS 1200 and Pedros little black box. It's amazing how once the film and the DVD are in sinch they will remain so right the way through a reel. The trouble I've had is that my copy of Grease is edited up on to two 1200ft reels, I have worked out a fool proof start point to get both the DVD and the film to start in synch and initially they stay in synch right up until the end of the first 400ft but at the splice the film becomes advanced.

I judged this to be about a second advance so spliced in 24 frames of black, striped leader, I soon found that I had over estimated the gap and reduced the frames first to 12 and then to 6. Now with an extra 6 frames and therefore 1/4 of second of film added the film will remain in perfect synch right through until the second splice. [Smile]

I've now started work on the second splice but this is not so easy. In order to check out the lost synch at the splice and judge how many frames to add I have to keep starting the DVD player and film in synch, this is easy now from the begining of the film but it would take an eternity if I keep starting from the begining again so have had to try to start it up in synch 2/3rds of the way through the second 400ft.

It's been driving me crazy, hence the grey hairs and the need to come to the computer and write about it in order that I don't give up all together [Mad] .

I've now had a couple of attempts and am once again at an additional 6 frames but this doesn't seem quite right. I shall have to keep plodding away.

The satisfying thing though is that I can now watch the first 800ft of the cine reel with perfectly synchronised sound from the DVD running through the amplifier. Great!

Haven't yet pressed the little red buttons and started the re-record process but once I've got the first 1200ft to remain in synch that'll be next. Have done a couple of trial recordings from DVD onto stripe and now that my GS has been attended to by Kevin, the re-recorded sound is really fantastic. [Smile]

More later ...

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 04:36 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

I got Chicken Run synched spot on after a few attempts.......trouble was I had forgotten to press the red buttons....never could get it right again [Frown]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 13, 2004 05:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
When I have done a job like this I tend to break the film back down to manageable reels at those splices and then put some leader on to help with resyncing.
This also reduces the wear on the film and projector as you are not having to keep going through a whole 1200ft of film.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2004 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kev,

that's good advice and I shall probably do just that with the second 1200ft reel. The benefit though, of doing the first reel as I have is that it is now possible to watch the whole first half in perfect synch with the DVD, so I get the best of both worlds; super 8 image on a scope screen and surround sound. Marvelous [Smile] .

Next step is to press the red buttons and lay the track down on to the film itself.

Paul [if you're reading this], I believe you re-recorded your copy of Grease didn't you? Did you find the stripe was capable of holding a good quality stereo recording??

I'm going to do a test strip on some leader and a tail but it would be good to know how others got on.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 17, 2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
Yes I did re-record my complete scope feature of Grease. On my particular print the quality of the balance stripe was excellent, and I ended up with a terrific rich stereo recording with booming base and impressive left and right chanel separation. In fact I would say that Grease is the best re-recorded quality I have acheived on any of the films I have done so far. The playback quality of the musical number sections is just awesome. Go for it Mike!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC