8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Sad Story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Sad Story
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live near Luton and when i have gone into town and walked passed the towns old ABC cinema that now stands derelict i think of all the times as a young lad that i sat in there watching films such as the Lone Ranger and Flash Gorden, my first X rated film and the Tim Rice / Andrew Lloyd Webber master piece Jesuschrist Superstar.
I was speaking to a young lad at work the other day who was part of the gang that ripped out the inside, i asked him if he found any film, Oh yes big round cans he said loads of them, what happened to them i asked, skipped them he said, [Big Grin] bugger i said. [Frown]

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a sad story. I heard something a little worrying a couple of weeks ago; a friend of mine was telling me about someone she worked with whoes Father-in-law had died recently, she was asking me if I thought his projector and screen would be worth anything to any one. I pried a bit trying to find out more and discovered that the old chap had a collection of 'cine reels in boxes', lots of old films, they had all been taken to the tip but they had held on to the projector and screen.

Of course it might have been nothing, perhaps a lot of rubbish, but on the other hand... [Frown]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
not getting your emails. [Frown]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2004 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, it's been very quiet on the email front just recently so I think I must be missing a few as well. [Frown]

Mike

--------------------

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apropo the binning of the old films:
If you hearof this sort of thing about to happen again PLEASE email me on secondsightfilm@aol.com because I have saved thousands of feet of Std8/S8/16mm by giving them a home and restoring them.This is history,we must keep it live.
You can of course post on here directly if you prefer. [Eek!]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry

Had I known about it before they had gone to the tip I would have tried to save them myself, unfortunately by the time I heard it was only the Screen and Projector that was left. The couple that had inherited the films and equipment didn't think the films would be of any interest to any one. [Frown]

Mike

--------------------

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
Yes,a story that even myself has been an unwilling party to.
Barry.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC