8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's The Final Word On ARMORALL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's The Final Word On ARMORALL?
Sonny Young
Junior

- posted November 22, 2004 09:55 AM      Profile for Sonny Young     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read that amazing thread on WD40. What I got out of it was that WD40 is NOT good for film despite the fact that it smells like Filmrenew. I also learned that warm water can be used on film to fix scratches! My question is this-- Since water can be used as a treatment, does it mean that ARMORALL (which is water based) can indeed be used on film? I couldn't figure out what the consensus was.

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2004 11:10 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it will work. Just like Film Cement is used to hold bumper stickers that start to fall off when you still want them on.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2004 01:13 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny

How about drying out the wipes and then using Filmguard on the dry cloths/ [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonny,

You can catch up on 107 + replies,on the Film Renew thread which is currently here on the Forum.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 22, 2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sonny,
The final word on ArmorAll is that there is no final word on ArmorAll. I have used it, I believe, successfully to rescue shrunk and dried out acetate prints, and to provide smoother running on many old black and white and colour prints which were jumpy and noisy running thru the projector. Other film collectors have an equally valid opinion that the use of anything other than specific film cleaning solution is very risky to the long term health of film prints. Call me back in 15 years!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I would be pleased to call you back in 15 yrs time except either we will all be dead from using film cleaners or indeed we will be having the same debate about cleaning DVD's (lol) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC