8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ken Film Features

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ken Film Features
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2004 01:05 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've touched on this before but was wondering if there are any Ken film feature releases that I'm not aware of. I am really speaking specifically of the ones that they released in those rather splendid vinyl cases [Wink] .

I'm aware of; The Dirty Dozen, American in Paris, Easter Parade, That's Entertainment, West Side Story and Ben Hur but what others were there? Did they ever release Show Boat? I'd certainly like a copy if they did.

Thanks guys...

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

They put out a full frame print of 2001: A Spacy Oddysey in those super cases, and of course the early prints of Casablanca as well.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry

Doug M and I both had an experience of a Ken film in those nice boxes of Casablanca where there were numerous areas of orange/brown especially around the eyes! Nice

--------------------
Tony

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2004 02:45 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

Yes the Ken Films prints of Casablanca were variable, but they had a bad tendancy to farm out printing to more than one lab, wheras when Derann got the neg, it was all printed at Rank, which made the difference. I have seen some nice Ken Casablanca prints, but these were mostly from 1st run prints, where more care was taken.

Another 3 titles that were in this packaging were French Connection 1 & 2, and Silver Streak.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry, some nice titles there to look out for. I didn't realise that French Connection was released on 8, that's another title to add to my wanted list but I don't seem to have seen it on any lists so I guess it didn't sell in great numbers. Was it one of their later relases?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 2001 it's OK. Flat, pan and scan, mono. Better to have this than not at all. Colors seem fresh, but warm, if that sounds possible. Would love to have this in scope.

CG

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Funnily enough The French Connection films together with Silver Streak were amongst the 1st batch of F/L features, they released their 1st batch on 400' sales figures, and I believe there all time best seller of the 400' editions was surprisingly not Star Wars, but Silver Streak of all films, so that was why it came out 1st.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what happened to the negs on French Connection?
That would be a great one to have.

Was French Connection Flat or Scope?

Best,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2004 02:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, Cineavision did "2001: A Space Odyssey" in 'Scope. Prints aren't particularly great though.

Interesting comment about "Silver Streak" being the best selling Ken 400 footer. Amazing really.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 17, 2004 07:59 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

My money would've been on "Squirm"......or possibly "Mako-The Jaws of Death". [Wink]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 18, 2004 08:57 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
French connection would be brill. I remember Derann selling this and the seqal as new prints. I have seen them on a couple of losts but with colour fading. I didnt think these features were released all that long ago to be on that poor film stock.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2004 04:22 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered -- when did Ken Films begin to offer feature films? Was it in the early 1980s before they went out of business? I don't recall seeing any marketing literature from Ken Films during that time advertising their features -- I only recall their advertising for their digests (?).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC