8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Unusual GS 1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unusual GS 1200
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just spotted this GS on Ebay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63821&item=3861659790&rd=1 I was trying to work out which model it is, it appears to be a playback only model and there is something on the front panel after the model name but I can't quite make out what. The seller is describing it as a 'telecine' model though I'm not sure why. Also, is that a 1:1.3 plastic lens?

Over to the 8mm Sherlocks...
[Smile]
Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 20, 2004 02:58 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That my friend is the Telecine version of the GS. Here is a quote "borrowed" from the internet:

"The ETC stands for Elmo TeleCine...and the speed control
is just that...a variable speed so that you can fine tune the running speed
with a video telecine setup to eliminate the flicker (due to out of phase
projector shutter and videoframe rate pickup). The inbetween settings are a
bit arbitrary and might actually vary slightly from projector to projector. It
is intended that you set it up for your telecine setup, and then have markings
to use to set it back to those settings for each time you get ready to do
film-to-video transfers. The idea was, that one would be setting it back to
'normal' running speed of 18fps or 24fps for regular projection use. If your
projector has the M-O markings...then it also will project Super 8mm optical
sound films.
Best wishes,
Martin W. Baumgarten"
Strange that I have seen about 3-4 of these on Ebay in the last few months! And prior to that I had never seen one.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted December 20, 2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's ask Mr. Elmo. Kevin, can sound be recorded on this model with a sync device? Also, if using for telecine would not the speed variation affect the sound transfer to either too high high in pitch or too low? [Confused]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 20, 2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ill bite! You cannot record any sound on this unit because there are no recording heads! It is specifically for playback only. I use to own an Elmo GS1200P Xenon model. Same idea. No recording possibility.
Also I do believe the sound will be affected if you deviate with the speed during transfer. The only way to do it professionally is to sample the audio into a computer program and then have the audio pitch corrected. Then you can layback the new audio to the video/dvd. Or you can telecine the entire thing frame by frame and then add the sound in post. Uggh. Sounds expensive to me.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted December 20, 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan. I was thinking about bidding on it, but I would really like to have the recording capability. I don't have much use for the telecine. Of course if one got lucky and got it for a few hundred dollars, that's a different story. [Cool]

[ December 20, 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 24, 2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It literally is a playback only machine and may have a 5 blade shutter so will have reduced light output. It is designed for Telecine use and only has the most basic of controls.
I was never sure why Elmo produced this machine as they had just as good a model in the ST600/180 ETC which you do see about from time to time. Those also had a line out for each head so could produce a stereo output. I'm not even sure that the GS ETC had the ESS system built in. It was another of the rare Elmo "Cobble it together" jobs.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC