8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Coating on Sankyo lenses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coating on Sankyo lenses
Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all!
I finally got me a Sankyo 1.0 f:15-30 mm lens. Very nice and seems to work fine indeed. But I have a question for those of you who might have owned it for some time: the front element seems to have no coating: no white or blue reflections. But the real element does. Is this normal?
Thanks
Best
Maurizio

--------------------
Maurizio

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I have this lens and yes the rear element has a blue coating. The front lens has a tint to it- sort of a broze/yellow tint that looks to me like a coating but it is different to the Elmo lens that has more of a blue tinge

--------------------
Tony

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2005 04:57 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, great! Finally I can be in touch to someone with direct experience with this lens. Yes, on closer inspection the front elements shows the features you mentioned.
I have a few questions.
First off: the lens looks cosmetically like new. But if you shake it a little, you can hear a little noise, like if something is slightly loose in the inside. This happens at any focal length and to a much lesser degree at 15 and 30 mm.

Second: in comparison to the standard Sankyo 1.3 lens, do you notice a big difference in brightness and sharpness?

Third: how does the Sankyo 1.0 compare to the Elmo 1.0 (for some reason I assume you've got one), both for luminosity and sharpness?
Thank you so much
Maurizio

--------------------
Maurizio

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2005 04:11 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio,

Yes, the rattling sound seems to be a feature of the lens although I am not sure what it is caused by having never taken one apart (yet).

I must admit (unlike many) I am a fan of the Elmo 1.0 but have never stopped to compare the two side by side. this is a little difficult in some ways given different light out puts etc of the two machines. I must make some time to try it although I have to say the Sankyo produces a very nice picture. Compared to the standard lens.....well we all have different eyes and different tolerances but in my view to 1.0 is the one to have.

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC