8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector and Scope Issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector and Scope Issues
Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, just curious if someone could help me out. I just got a Scope Lens from The Reel Image, more specifaclly a 2X Anamorphic Kowa 16D C-Mount Scope Lens. I own a GAF 2000S projector, if anyone is familiar with that model. My issue is that the projector does not have a thread so I need to rig something up to hold up the lens. Anyone else work on any home made solutions for a similar issue? Once I have something set up I'll use that for a while, but evetually I'm going to get a better projector, anyone have any suggestions on one that'll work best for my lens? I do have a High-end Eumig projector, again without a thread, but beyond that it needs some serious repair, so disregard that for now. Also does anyone have reccomendations on a good C-Mount sound camera? My silent Canon 514 XL is C-Mount so I assume another camera in that family will do. Maybe the sound version of the 514 XL, but does anyone know how that runs? I mean how noisy is the motor?
Thanks,
Ernie

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 29, 2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, check out this website;

web page

This one is better, it's Chip Gelmini's set up:

web page

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2005 04:52 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan

THANK YOU for those kind words. How nice of you to recomend something I have done! Have a super (8) day!!!

CG

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 29, 2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, get a grip! [Smile] After the British Pound sign thing I new you were okay. [Wink]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
........Excuse me for a moment whilst I slip into an epileptic mode of break dancing....... [Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!] [Embarrassed] [Razz] £ [Wink] [Big Grin] [Smile]

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2005 10:53 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help and Chip nods to your site it helped [Smile] Oh I had one more question, from what I see I guess Chip's the guy to ask so I'll direct this question to him. Chip, my projector is making that jitter that many projectors seem tomake, what can I do to fix this? It's reached a point where it had become dangerous for the film. My Eumig chews up the film and the GAF has a tendency to melt frames. Fortunately it's only happened to about three films out of the many that could've been damaged in my collection. Are these easy fixes or should I just buy new projectors?

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 30, 2005 02:04 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for not being Chip, but I figured maybe I can jump in and help you out. [Smile]
As for the Eumig, that sounds like simple misthreading, unless what you're saying is it chews up film in the middle of projecting it. If you can go into more detail about what exactly happens, we can narrow it down, but for now I'd say there's a problem somewhere in the film path, a blockage maybe?
As for your GAF projector, sounds like the claw is out of alignment and doesn't properly grab the perforation holes and pull the film down; could also be a damaged pressure plate causing the film to run off the path somehow. If you can, just take the front cover off either projector and let some film run through, then watch closely what happens along the way. I also like to run a projector with the lens and pressure plate removed so I can watch the gate and the motion of the claw. Hope this helps a little bit [Smile]

EDIT: it just occurred to me that in order for the GAF to melt frames, the film would have to stand still [Roll Eyes] is the transport not moving at all? Slippery belt maybe?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha you don't have to be Chip. But to answer your questions, The Eumig chews at threading and sometimes while the film is playing in addition to the irritating jitter which turing the projector on and off only temporariy remedies. And the GAF does tend to stand still at a frame sometimes which is what makes it melt. And the claw being out of alignment does seem to make sense for the GAF because it's my impression the jitter becomes worse when I turn the machine back on. For example I was watchinf Star Wars yesterday on it and the phone rang, so I turned off the projector when the film was about half way through playing just fine. When I went to turn the machine back on it began the jitter. I turned it off then waited for a second and turned it back on. It was stable for about 10 seconds then it jittered again. I turned it on/off again but this time it was a still frame and it began to melt. After that I dared to turn it back on again, but it played fine till the film ended. But it was my assumprion and my friend's that something was out of alignment and each time the machine is turned back on the film is brought out of alighnment more until it freezes at one frame. So the GAF does play ok but seems to have I guess a hair trigger sensitivity to be thrown out of alignment. As for the Eumig it has the same jitter, but it has more of a problem with the length of the film. If I play say like a 50' roll it has no problem usually, but something larger it just doesn't seem to have the tolerance for and evntually chews it up.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie, I'm betting that your Eumig is one of those wretched co-axial reel models (900 to 929 series) which does not have a feed sprocket. If it were an 800 series Eumig which all had double sprockets, the size of the reel would be irrelevant. I'm telling everyone on the Forum, if you ever see the fabulous looking Eumig 926 GL Stereo on Ebay, pass it by!! These machines have no feed sprocket and are very touchy to thread, and will endlessly jerk and thrash the film feeding off the feed spool. I hate them, even though the sound quality is superb. Why Eumig went into production with this quirky coax reel design is beyond me. Thank God they corrected it on the 930 and up, going back to the conventional double sprocket. Do NOT buy Eumigs with coaxial reels!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 30, 2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are spot on with your advice Paul. But lets say that somone has got one of these coaxial reel machines is there anyway to eliviate the problem. Would film lubrication help?
Do you lube your films Ernie? or maybe if not then you should give it a try. Dont know if the drag tension on the feed spool can be adjusted as it sounds like a probelm of feed spool tension part way through the spool.
Cant offer anymore advice than that as I dont know that particular range of machines that well.

Kev.

[ January 31, 2005, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are stuck with one of the coaxial Eumig 900's, there is a mod you can make which will drastically reduce, but not totally eliminate, the jerking and thrashing of the long length of film from the supply spool along the top of the projector. The addition of two film rollers at the point on the lamphouse cover, just above the film counter, really helps. You wrap the film below the first roller, then over the top of the second roller, then feed into the top of the projectorin the normal manner. The two rollers dampen the film flapping significantly.
Another point -NEVER rewind your films on these coaxial reel machines. The rewind path is too tortuous - very hard on the film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2005 08:04 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ernie and welcome to our forum. Most replies are serious good advice, but once in awhile we get slightly silly. I am not an expert on the Eumig machines. Sorry to dissapoint you. However, I am an Elmo man myself and own several ST1200 units of various capabilities. I can recommend these hightly, be patient find one maybe get it fixed within reason and you'll be a happy camper. I wouldn't run any features through those Eumigs untill you get them fixed. This kind of collection is way to delicate to be consumed by any machine.

CG

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2005 08:39 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, thanks for the friendly advice, I was looking into getting an elmo once I have the cash. And Paul the Eumig is an 807 D and the length of the film is an issue because the problem is caused by the projector losing its top loop. The film gradually loses the loop till it jitters and sometimes chews the film. Which is why I'm lucky with shorter films that end before the loss of loop can usualy do any serious damage. I sould have mentioned that before, sorry, but even though I know what's causing the the jitter I don't know what's causeing the loop to fall. So my real problem is finding a solution to the loss in the loop.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 30, 2005 09:29 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Kevin, yes, I lube all my films with FilmRenew. But I don't think you actually meant to direct that question at me) [Big Grin]

Ernie, I'm beginning to think that the upper sprocket wheel on your Eumig isn't pulling the film through properly and it "skips" the teeth every now and then which causes it to jump back one frame and thus the loop shrinks until the jitter starts. I would go about examining that spring-loaded part that keeps the film gently pressed against the sprocket wheel so the teeth reliably grab the perforation holes without the film skipping over them. I'm 95% sure that's where the problem is.

Another (IMHO less likely) scenario is that the sprocket wheel itself is actually failing due to a mechanical problem with the worm gear (on the main axle) driving the cogwheel that sits on the other side of the sprocket wheel axle. Time to take the back cover off and look [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 30, 2005 11:43 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about Eumigs. I did have one about twenty years ago and remember it being a fun machine to add sound on sound to a prestriped home movie. Now that I'm into collecting movies I only use Elmos. Great machines! I have a couple of ST-1200s and an St-800 pus a couple of junkers for parts.

Chip, I thought you 35mm rigs were very interesting and so was you super large reel rig.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 31, 2005 06:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Jan you were correct. I have have put that error right.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2005 08:32 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie-I'm not that far from you living on Cape Cod in Falmouth, maybe 3 or 4 hour drive. Maybe you could come and see my setup this summer. I'm kind of busy through the end of April but anytime after that would be OK. I actually have relatives in CT and go there from time to time near the Waterbury/New Haven areas (Seymour, Beacon Falls, Wolcott). Long time ago I used to live in Beacon Falls/Naugatuck. Just consider this for now we can always plan something later. CG

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, that would be perfect! My family and I travel to Cape Cod for a week every summer. We rent a house in Dennisport and stop off at Falmouth at least twice in the trip. So keep in touch, I think we'll be there in the area of July.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC