8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Any experience of these modified Elmos?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any experience of these modified Elmos?
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2005 02:59 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=7507666622&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Just wondering if any member has any experience or views on these modified machines.

As I have a large number of Standard/Regular 8 films and am currently looking at purchasing documentaries, some of which are in Reg. 8 with sound, I thought it might be worth making some enquiries.

I particularly notice the comment in the description, that the aperture has been ground, so as to give a larger picture, but it also says that the sprocket holes are visible! I don't quite understand this - does it mean that if you use it as a normal projector, as I would, you will see the sprocket holes on the screen????? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

I have "asked seller a question" and am waiting for the response.

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 19, 2005 03:35 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
I've been looking at these as well. Regarding the aperture, the seller clearly states "transfer", not "projection", hence the need to zoom in a little with your camcorder in order to get the biggest image size available without seeing the sprocket holes.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2005 04:20 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean, I guessed as much, but wanted to be sure. A pity though!

If this is the case, next question: anyone know of a source for Standard 8 sound projectors? I definitely do not want a dual machine. [Mad]

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2005 10:30 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a reply back from "ask seller a question".

You're absolutely right, Jean. The projector can be used for normal projection purposes, but the seller has confirmed that the sprocket holes will be seen on the screen.

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 19, 2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
It might not be such a bad deal, you know? The Elmo is a good machine. Perhaps holes could simply be masked by taping some black felt on the side of the lens when using this projector in "normal" projection conditions...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 19, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love the bit where the guys says "But the golden goodie is that this machine will also transfer regular 8 sound." Shame it will be badly out of sync. 18 to 56 frames is quite a differance.
Also, unless I'm missing something, why the need to grind out the aperture and pressure plates? they are too big anyway. The super 8 aperture is much bigger than the standard 8. Is this the reason why the sprocket holes show?
Sounds like a way of padding out the add to me.

Kev. [Eek!]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 19, 2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong Kevin, but I think even if they kept the original super-8 aperture plate it would still have to have been ground because (as I seem to recall) the standard 8mm frame extends closer to the non-perf edge of the film than the super-8 frame does (because super-8 film has some extra room there for the main sound stripe).
As for the 56-frame distance, sure got me curious there... From looking at the auction pictures there doesn't seem to be any provision for running a larger loop of film between the gate and the soundhead, so I went ahead and asked the seller about it. Will post back when he/she replies. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 23, 2005 08:53 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer: Good morning, the 56 pictures are not modified, but you can control it with a loop above the sound head.

Uh, gee... that's very enlightening. [Confused] I guess they mean you have to enlarge the loop yourself after threading the film. [Razz]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 24, 2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats complete and utter rubish. The loop on these machines goes back under the gate. There is a guide which moves back out of the way after threading is complete so if you make the loop any bigger it will hit this guide and anyway it would only make an extra couple of frames. Complete poppy cock!!!
I wont correct you over the image size because you are quite correct. I got my one and only roll of std 8 out tonight and checked and yes the pic goes right up to the edge of the film, (Good job they didnt think of putting stereo sound on Std 8)
So yes they would have to grind the aperture plate out on the one side.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 24, 2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought... I've yet to see a projector where there's actually room for a 56-frame loop to begin with, let alone without a guide piece in the way. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC