8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Feature about to be released. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Feature about to be released.
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 12:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem that we are about to have a new Feature released by Derann. I believe that the title is Master and Commander which I have to say is a really great film, full of action all the way. If the DVD is anything to go by the film has some very moody photgraphy. I think that it will, like most of Derann's recent releases be in scope and stereo sound.
I have to say that it's a great move on their behalf and should hopefully show that there is still life in super 8 especially as its Super 8's 40th birthday this year.
I for one am glad to hear that a recent movie is being released on super 8 and will look forward to a copy in my collection. [Smile]
It had better be a good-un Duncan [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

Already have it on DVD

Tony [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, you should be ashamed of yourself!

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 25, 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true!

I got a package from Derann the other day and there was a flyer inside announcing the release on one side and that they will be selling hot-join material for making replacement projector belts on the other.

It sounds like a spectacular film!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble is Tony keeps trying to play these DVD's on his GS!!! [Big Grin]
As I said before it should be a great release. Now all they need is our support. Come on chaps. [Smile]
John, if your reading this, are we going to have a clip I wonder at the BFCC? [Wink]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

I am deeply deeply ashamed and to such an extent that I do promise to synch pulse the 8mm film when it arrives

Duncan it better be damned good!

Now what about Gladiator- for goodness sake, how many more times must I ASK NICELY [Razz]

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I envy everyone who gets a copy of this, especialy from the first run. This movie will be nothing short of spectacular on the big home widescreen. I'm sure a clip at the BFCC will add to the sales. Xtra to. [Wink]
BTW,
No one talk about trying to lace up DVD for the sound, i think Super 8 is great as it is, We do not wish to mimin DVD hear,

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 01:30 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody 'ell! They've picked a right corker there for the 40th anniversary of Super 8. "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" is quite simply the best film in a very long time. You can be damned sure we'll do our very best to get this in at the BFCC. On reading this news I can confirm my order has gone in already.

Assuming it arrives in time how about we just scrap the usual 8 shows at the BFCC and just run Master and Commander three or four times?

I can't quite believe it... of all the films I would have wanted on Super 8 over the last few years this is the one. I think I'll celebrate with a long, cool glass of Thermofilm and clean the GS in preparation.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marvellous news!

My order has been placed already.

Super 8, there's life in the old dog yet [Wink]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 01:50 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see Mr O'Reilly

The Lightwater 6000 strike again

Be afraid, Be very afraid! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 25, 2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent point by Tom about getting one of the first run prints. I've placed my order. Thank you Derann!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, excellent news about Master & Commander. However, do you not think that they are jeopardising sales by releasing a full feature in scope only. Not all collectors have the full benefits of a good scope setup. [Roll Eyes]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A damm good excuse to fork out a little Xtra on scope lens then my old mucker [Big Grin]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Craig's point, apart from two or three trailers, I think the last film to be available in both scope and flat versions was 'Raise The Titanic', which is probably an indication that it has not been financially viable to do this for a very long time.

Also, considering how many prints would have to be sold to cover the cost of producing a negative for a film this length nowadays, it makes me wonder if a suitable negative has come to light.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's more of a case of giving the hobby a bit more of a kickstart after all these years. Lets face it Derann and CHC have been dipping their feet in to the release side of things with various shorts for a while now and I know a number of people keep telling Derann that we want more than a few shorts. It looks like they are now coming up with the goods so from our point of view we need to support them where we can to help keep the hobby and releases alive.

Kev.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful news!!! I don't know if I will be able to justify buying a copy, with the dollar 48 cents on the pound (thank you very much president Bush!! [Mad] ), but I will give it a damn good shot if the price is reasonable. Long live super 8! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 06:16 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find mention of it on Deranns website. Is it listed yet?

Thanks, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2005 02:18 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it's listed yet John as the prints aren't available yet and they have to pay a web master to update their site.

With regards to a flat print being released, not a chance. This was only ever printed anamorphic on 35mm so that's it. A 16mm reduction has probably been done that would be a masked widescreen but I doubt very much that would be pan and scan therefore nothing from which to make a flat negative.

Shouldn't be long now before our brand spanking new prints arrive of this wonderful film. Imagine, a modern film that has a beginning, a middle and an end. And actually has characters you care about.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 26, 2005 05:33 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, What a film to be out on super 8.
I have to aggree with Johns sentiments on this superb title.
Very rare now to get a film with such depth and great acting and chararcters and atmosphere and even then still plenty of action and interest and fine shots.
It really is a special film in my mind and you can re-watch it again and again and it just gets better.
If anyone hasn`t seen it, it really is superb in all respects and a film that leaves you with a warm " I really enjoyed that" feeling at the end.
Amazing that Derann are releasing this they simply couldn`t have picked a better one.
Best Mark.
PS the music is very nice too.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

I have to disagree. Gladiator, that's the one [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's great to have those who said there would never be another super 8 feature release, SILENCED.

Great stuff for super 8mm.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is good news.
I agree with Paul for US chaps this will be one exspensive title. Not a matter of affording it but justifiying the cost. I would like to do more in the hobby but pricing in the states for anything super8 is getting crazy to the point we have to think twice about buying a cartoon. We might be able to afford a super 3mm version though [Wink]

Glad to see the hobby marching forward [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 26, 2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Alan,
Bush and his cronies are always expounding about how great their economic plan (tax cuts for the wealthy)is working, maybe somebody should ask him if he has purchased a super 8 feature from Derann recently! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I hope things do make a turn for the better. I hope our UK friends understand our lack of supporting the hobby but it cost us almost twice the money for a title at the moment. $700 and up per title takes the fun out of the hobby. Haven't lost interest just lying low for awhile.
It really is great to see this blockbuster make it to Super 8mm, Great job Derann.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2005 12:41 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Good Point that you make, [Razz] to them all...they know who they are [Razz] there I did it again [Razz] and again

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC