8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » grand ole oprey show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: grand ole oprey show
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2005 03:47 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned a while ago about these very early American Columbia 400foot super 8 colour sound editions. They covered some rare performances by singers such as Jim Reeves, Marty Robins, The Jordaniars, Chet Atkins to name a very few, I picked a couple up (they kept there price to Ģ15-20 quid each)a few years ago and the picture, sound and colour is outstanding for its time. Must be late 50's early 60's.
On the boxes it states Volumes 2 and 5 so i was wondering if any one can throw some light on these as to haw many there were or maybe somone would like to sell any on?

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 08, 2005 11:57 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I can't answer your questions but I know there were also some Columbia 200' releases in this line. I have one with female singers called 'Country Gals' Ref No. CM5CS. It's in a 'Classic Country & Western Music' box. I've just examined the print and the colour still looks fine.
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 08, 2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, that explains that the 400ft reel i got off a collector entitled Jim Reeves was in fact the JR 200ft and a country and western 200ft with Webb Pierce, Carl Smith,Ray Price and a female,(can never remember her name). I must say that the colour is 1st class for something of this age. Thanks for the info, i'm sure some more will turn up again some time. [Wink]

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi (sorry my english is not very well),
I have also a 400ft and a 200ft reel of this Grand ole oprey TV shows. I donīt know how many reels of this exist but I saw some 16mm prints on ebay last time. The 16mm prints are all faded or pink on eastman stock and they sold very high. My S8 prints are both in very good condition and the color is very good.
They exist many shows of this, I watched 10 years ago 2 or 3 video casets (each ~2hours full), and the owner of the videos told me, he have 6 video cassetes full of them.
I like more the fast songs and they are also some great rockabilly numbers, but my Super 8 reels continue only slow songs.
Regards
Oemer

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 09, 2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oemer, They are unusal items and as you said the quality is very good for the age, I think i'm fortunate as most of the ones i have are the more catchy songs, there are many rare and famous faces on these films, three that stand out for me are Jim Reeves,(very rare in colour) Carl Smith and Webb Pierce, these two were very big stars in many old western movies,mainly B westerns but they were very big in there time.
Thanks for the info and your English is excellent. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC