8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO ST600 take up reel problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO ST600 take up reel problem
Chris Drumma
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2005 04:30 AM      Profile for Chris Drumma   Email Chris Drumma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an elmo ST600 projector. I replaced the smaller belt in it awhile ago. The take up reel does not spin always when a movie is being projected. It starts and then stops which is annoying because I have to spin it by hand unless I want a mess of film. What should I look for as a problem? Is a belt slipping maybe?
thanks
Chris

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 06, 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does sound like the take-up belt is slipping. (I'm assuming that the belt you replaced goes around the motor and main drive rollers.) Is this something that's been gradually getting worse, or did it just start happening overnight? It's also possible that the friction drive, well, no longer provides the friction necessary to keep the spindle turning (and the film being taken up by the reel under slight tension).
Best way to find out would be to run the projector with the back cover off and watch what the belt does. Also, try taking the reel off altogether and hold the spindle with your fingers. Does it keep trying to turn, do you feel any resistance, or is it dead in the water?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Chris Drumma
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2005 04:04 AM      Profile for Chris Drumma   Email Chris Drumma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
It was fine for a while and then it started to happed again. I ran the projector with the back cover off. The belt had slipped off the takeup reel pulley?. How tight should the belt be? Should I replace the belt? It is an easy fix but a pain to have to worry about it. Where can I get a replacement belt?
thanks for you help.
Chris

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 07, 2005 05:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: you should watch Ebay as sets of new belts for Elmos appear there from time to time.

Another option is to check Larry Urbanski's website. Larry is based in Illinois, and he sells a "belt replacement kit", if you don't mind a little DIY.

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2005 10:55 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,

Came across this on ebay. Seems to have most belts for many projectors including yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7515767238&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

Rick

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 14, 2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought several sets of Elmo belts from "Isellprojectorbelts" on Ebay. No problem, their the square ones too! [Smile] Excellent seller.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 14, 2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed - it's no wonder he's got 100% positive feedbacks, one of them was mine [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Chris Drumma
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Chris Drumma   Email Chris Drumma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will get a set of belts just to have in case.
Chris

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC