8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Comments on Elmo ST-180E?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comments on Elmo ST-180E?
Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,

I'm trying to get into the hobby in start mode (trying to hold costs to a dull roar). From everything I see in this forum it's obvious that the GS1200HD is the premier unit. Does anyone have any experience with the subject projector. I want to ultimately convert it for telecine and have some pretty good info already on it.

Just want to know anyone's thoughts, ideas, feedback. They show up regularly on ebay so thought I'd ask.

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 10, 2005 11:32 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The St180 the st600 or st160( the 160 is single track) are excellant starter machines, kind to film, though ask about the green guides on here to check how to keep them healthy if you get one.
They run superbly for years and £1 per £1 x hours play are a great option, cracking sound for the cash as well.With a xenophot bulb in they give a very good light and usually rock steady picture, if you upgrade the lens to a 1,1 or 1,0 as well they look great on the screen
Equally the elmo sc18 also a 600 foot twin track machine has the benifit of usual projection and avery neat 5 or 6 inch viewing screen. These run very nicely.
Paul foster of foster films has a nice sounding st600( black, they look good) for around the ton at the moment, a good allround chap.
Barry at Independent 8 often has good stuff and very knowledgeable and good to deal with and his stuff is often better than you expect as well, his B+ is other peoples A.
Ian at perrys movies I believe has one or two of this marque in at the moment as well, also a top chap, and mrs Ian.
Kevin clark( forum member) also often has some nice machine`s on offer and is great to deal with in every way.
You can`t go too far wrong with these.
The sankyo and bell and howell range are also good but the elmos are nice to use with the fold down side and have a certain feel to them.
If you are going to buy old digests many on acetate stock and don`t want to have to lubricate all of your films bear in mind elmos can be fussy on older dry stock.
Best Mark.
Ps be careful on ebay as most projectors these days need a bit of a sort and many people on there sell them blind as it were as they know little and the buck stops with you,belts, probs etc and for the very small if any difference think about a dealer.
Paul foster for instance has a very good pay help scheme he does for film purchases he may do on a machine if asked.
PPS after all of that just notied you are in the US, maybe a good chap on here has one thats minty for a reasonable price.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

It does appear that ebay sellers do get carried away to an extent. There's a nice 180 on now but claims it needs new belts and lamp and it's up to $113.00. Add $35 shipping, roughly $35 for lamp and belts and you've hit nearly $200 with an "as-is" machine.

It appears a lot of dealers are buying them up hence the higher prices.

I'll keep looking.

Rick

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 10, 2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rick for starters do you have a local free mag or rag paper you can ring up and put a wanted add in locally.
I,E.
Wanted super 8 sound projector in nice order and any sound fims, what have you? ring Rick on etc.
You could do very well, get a nice affordable machine and a few films to throw through as well, by far the best option and worth a go.Even if as usual it needs belts etc if its $50 the lot etc.
Best Mark.
PS the just as useful st160 single tracks usually go for less and exactly the same

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2005 05:28 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark I have to correct you with regards to the late Eumig 900 series. These machines do not have soft sound heads. The 900 series is a reliable and robust machine with a good life expectancy from the sound head.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 11, 2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig, just going by peoples experiances, its also possible that as many things like sound heads can be bought in like car componenets etc, certain batches may be less good.
But it is worth bearing in mind as for many they have worn very quickly.
I`ve often herd them described as chocolate soundheads, though, yes, maybe many are OK as well.
Its just something to bear in mind when getting in to the hobby and sussing out a good machine.
Also many poeple unfortunately if sensing a newbie may take advantage that they might not have much idea of this that and the other.
Best Mark.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good info. It's helpful as I look for my return to Super 8. I had a Super 8 Eumig back in the early days. It was a combo unit purchased with the Makro 64XL camera and one of the 900 models. Went to video after a year with it.

It was a good set though the camera had to go back to Eumig once for warranty service.

As to tape heads, I ran my own hifi repair service for a few years early in my career. We saw thm all from the top end studio machines down to cheapie consumer models. Price did not guarantee good tape heads. There were only a few manufacturers of them at the time. Typically, German heads were great ala Tandberg machines but who knows where Eumig got theirs from.

Thanks again.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for anyone's information on the St180E I was watching on ebay that needed belts & lamp and was as-is, it went for $315.00 Geez.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 11, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FLAMIN HEC, PAUL FOSTER FILMS HAS A REALLY NICE ST600, MORE OR LESS THE SAME MACHINE HERE IN THE UK FOR £130.
HERE THAT WILL ONLY GET YOU ABOUT 30 GALLONS OF PETROL.
HOW MANY CAN YOU GET FOR $315 PLUS A FURTHER 40 ODD FOR BULBS AND BELTS ETC.
BEST MARK.
PS ALTHOUGH YOU GET NEARLY 2 DOLLARS TO A POUND NOW I THINK OFTEN A DOLLAR WILL BUY YOU ABOUT WHAT A POUND WILL HERE.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2005 05:33 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That tells ya how bad these projector prices are getting on ebay. Screw this. I'm gonna look in the paper and hit the flea markets. The sellers and bidders alike are nuts.

130 Pounds for gasoline? I guess we US gas hogs can't bitch too much on our $2.00+ a gallon (but we will). You know us. Always right (but not very often these days). And as to your gas relationship, the total cost for this gold projector was $315 + $35 shipping + $40 belts, bulb and their shipping. A grand total of $390. In my neighborhood = to 190 gallons of gas including tax.

Rick

PS. And Mark, you're absolutely right on the equation of buying value. Here $1.00 should equate to 1 pound. I traveled extensively to the UK in one of my previous jobs and it always was that what was roughly equivalent to $1.00 in the US sold for 1 pound in the UK. The only drawback was when you carried $s and converted that it hit hard.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC