8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Household products safe for cleaning mag striped film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Household products safe for cleaning mag striped film
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.... I've heard isopropyl alcohol, goo-gone, are good for cleaning film, but are they safe on mag striped film? Also, the silicone cloths normally used for cleaning guns.... safe or not for mag striped film?

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 12, 2005 06:13 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, Goo-Gone is safe to use on striped film, however it acts as a cleaner only, not a lubricant. If by isopropyl alcohol you mean those bottles you can buy at the pharmacy, avoid! - because those are a mixture of alcohol and distilled water. And we all know what water does to film. [Eek!] I'm not even sure if pure alcohol is OK for film or not.
Silicone cloths - honestly have no idea, but Phil Johnson of http://www.8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com sells them and there's nothing there that says "do not use with sound film" so they must be OK. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2005 01:09 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

So long as it is Isopropyl you will be fine for cleaning most film though it has been known to cause some older film emulsion to curl badly so use sparingly.

As for other products, if you search this site you will find miles and miles of opinions on this matter. Best to use something that has been around for 25yrs or more if you weant to be safe or why not use some nice pure baby oil?

--------------------
Tony

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2005 01:09 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

So long as it is Isopropyl you will be fine for cleaning most film though it has been known to cause some older film emulsion to curl badly so use sparingly.

As for other products, if you search this site you will find miles and miles of opinions on this matter. Best to use something that has been around for 25yrs or more if you weant to be safe or why not use some nice pure baby oil?

--------------------
Tony

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 13, 2005 03:26 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention baby oil tony as I was thinking of trying that.
As it happens the smell of filgaurd always reminded me of it as well.
Need something at the mo but as filmgaurd is about 50 notes here in the UK not sure what to go for that will help lube up those pesky walton shakers etc.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 13, 2005 06:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling I know where this thread could go again!!! [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2005 07:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question Brad - are you considering using household cleaners on your films rather than actual film cleaners because of cost, availablity or health factors ?

Mark T - did you ever watch those Std 8 films I sent you that were 'quarantined' due to wreaking of eau-de-Cresclean? Just wondered if the pong ever went away enough for your delicate proboscis [Wink]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 13, 2005 09:22 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev, firstly you are not a tight wad on your claning products and it took about 6 weeks before I ventured a proper fiddle with them, wow what a nif,good stuff mind you.Shame you can`t get it now.
Has anyne tried baby oil at all then, or any other oils.
Best Mark.
PS anyone know of a cheap source for filmgaurd in the UK.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

Baby oil- from Sainsbury's- is great. Smells nice, the film runs great and you can worry not about your health.

Too much though and who knows.....another little Toddy running around???? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 13, 2005 07:26 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev (F) ... so do I, so do I!! [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2005 12:04 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok.... I've heard isopropyl alcohol, goo-gone, are good for cleaning film, but are they safe on mag striped film? Also, the silicone cloths normally used for cleaning guns.... safe or not for mag striped film?

Watch out for isopropyl since it will remove moisture from the emulsion which can lead to curl and warping. Can't speak to goo-gone. Silicone can be ok but you'll never get it off.

One major problem when talking about "stripe" is there are several different methods and each can take cleaners differently. The liquid dispersion stripe is probably the strongest and what you'll find on pre-striped (factory) Kodak and Agfa stock, then there's the Agfa thermal bond stripe (expensive and rare) and finally the cement adhered stripe. The latter is most likely to "come off" with some chemicals. The problem is a chemical gets under the stripe and de-laminates it and you might not even find it out for two or three months!

Use of any chemical is at your own risk for film and your own health. Use any chemical in a well ventilated area and if you do any amount of hand cleaning consider a vent hood that exhausts to the outside.

If the "olden days" (back in the 20s and 30s) motion picture labs used white gas and carbon tet to clean film. Both worked great and still do, but we know more about the human effects of these chemicals today. (Or maybe just care more).

John

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm concerned from a health issue. It seems that the people who say the various film cleaning products are safe are, in fact, the people who make the stuff. If I have to wear masks and have windows open then obviously there must be some risk. I have a wife and daughter to also think about exposing to these products and their vapors and unless I have guarantees of their safety I'm reticent about having these products in the house.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 14, 2005 06:39 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Brad, well I am just off to buy some baby oil, What do you really reckon, Tony, also please can you have a shuftie at some films you did a while ago with it and see if its still there as it were and if it looks OK.
Does it show or not on projecting.
If a good alternative it will be great for the UK as not much to get here.
Wonder what its like on acetate as well, especially with no stripe.
No worries health wise on this Brad, as OK on the fingers and the lungs etc, should lube OK as well.
Thanks for reminding me to try it Big.T.
Best Mark.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 15, 2005 06:38 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just seen on ebay US a cleaner called ecco 1500, anyone used it, does it stay on the film at all.Any good.
Thanks Mark.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2005 03:12 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Wonderfull

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC