8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1939 version)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1939 version)
Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2005 10:55 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all forum members!
I purchased a great copy of the above stated classic. It was made by Derann - but it is a cutdown version of about 1320 Ft. Does anyone know if a full feature version of the title was produced on Super 8mm? The Derann print ist great in image- and sound quality - but there are at least 30 minutes missing.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Best regards,
Michael Scheck

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 21, 2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

did some looking around but the only copy I found that's currently available is on the Independent 8 sales list at the BFCC website http://www.bfcc.biz/independent8mm.html - and while 4x400 adds up to 1600ft those reels probably aren't full to the brim plus the additional 280ft would only add up to roughly 15 minutes anyhow. [Wink] Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but if it shows up on a used sales list sometime soon I'll try to remember and let you know. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,
thank you for looking around. You are right, the reels aren't full, exept reel one.
I browse those sales list quite often myself - I never saw this feature turn up on any list so far.
But perhaps someone else has?
Thanks,
Michael

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 21, 2005 04:04 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd seen it quite a few times, but upon taking a closer look I realized it was the 1923 silent version (with Lon Chaney) that turned up now and then. eBay only has a 200ft. cutdown of the 1939 version right now, and I'm not so sure those 200ft. happen to be exactly what you're missing [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2005 04:52 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for Laughton, more than 200 ft.
Thanks,
Michael

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2005 02:57 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Michael,

Yes I do have a copy of "Hunchback" for sale, and it's the same cut as your own version (which sounds in better condition than the one I have for sale). As far as I know these are Mountain prints and I think they only ever produced a 4x400' version, with about a combined running time of about 65-70 minutes. I have never seen this title on any US dealers lists as anything else than a 4x400', so unless I'm mistaken Mountain Films were the only company that brought this classic out on 8mm.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC